Intercooler piping 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Intercooler piping
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

Thought this might help in the rather arduous task of routing intercooler piping.
I posted it earlier by mistake on the Boosted Falcon site because I thought I was here.

Anyway,,If you need to do a cheap piping Mock up then run down to bunnings or masters & buy a couple of 2.5 inch diameter pool noodles ( without the hole in the middle) then while you are there race down to their hardware section & buy a couple of lengths of 2-3mm diameter straight mild steel rod. It comes in 2 & 3 mtr lengths. All up it will cost about $25 bucks or less.

Go home, look under hood & work out approximate lengths of pipe you think you are going to need taking into account the bends as well, use a tape measure if you can.
Cut the rod into lengths about the same size as the pipe runs you are going to need ( I cut them a little longer & trim as I go). Then Grind a sharp point on these sections of the rod end.
Now cut sections of the pool noodle to match the rod length.It doesn't hurt to cut these a little longer either.

Now pass the rod through the center of the pool noodle sections ( don't impale yourself & die in the process) & then start working out the route for the intercooler piping. You just bend the rod inside the pool noodle and the whole piece (noodle & rod) holds the same shape.

If the noodle turns out to be shorter than the rod inside because of the bends, then just cut some more pool noodle & thread it onto the pipe & hold together with some heavy duty tape ( a straight section is best to add it).

Once you get it to the perfect shape take it to your local welder & get him to copy it in Ally or stainless & away you go. I have had 100% success doing it this way. ( I have done 3 B series so far)
Its the best & cheapest way I have found to work out your piping routing under the hood because the pool noodle is the same or close to the same size of the pipe that you will be using & with the rod inside it holds it shape. It's light, maneuverable, strong, doesn't kink & you can even bend it 180 degrees long as its not too tight.
Has got me out of trouble a few times. :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]