Four-cylinder EcoBoost Ford Falcon flops 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Four-cylinder EcoBoost Ford Falcon flops
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Is the Ford AU marketing team simply employed to sink the Ford AU ship? It certainly seems that way.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Modern Injection systems should be able to compensate for varying gas mixes.

In regards to the Ford AU Marketing team, it sure seams that way.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Modern Injection systems should be able to compensate for varying gas mixes.

In regards to the Ford AU Marketing team, it sure seams that way.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

That's the thing.. other than youtube.. I've not seen any marketing at all for the ecoLPI or the 4cyl.

I did a little survey here at the uni and nobody I asked had seen an add for either. nobody even knows they exist so the issue is with people at ford choosing other models to advertise.. that isn't the cars fault.. that is the idiots who are supposed to be marketing them's fault.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Im thinking fore marketing does not exist/ they have no budget. Its like they want to fail.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I did say it would flop when this first came on Fordmods, was told I didnt know what I was talking about.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As soon as I found out Ford was putting a 2L in a Facon it said one thing to me: the death of the Falcon.
All Ford are doing is testing out the engine combo ready to go into a new car design. The idea of a 2L turbo in a large car like the Facon works, but putting a 2L turbo in a Falcon is like making a hybrid Ferrari. It goes against all the Falcon stands for. If Ford was serious about keeping the Falcon they would have done what they have always done ( and its worked many times for them) and that is make the new engine around the same size as what Holden are using. A 3L or 3.5L would have been better ( 3L can produce excellent results in power and economy) idea and might have saved the Falcon, but they dont want to do that. Scrap the Falcon, remove the plants in Australia and make a car overseas at a cheaper price and sell it to the world. Cuts design costs, cuts production costs and makes a Ford Australia just a distributor.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well I did take one for a drive and it wasn't too bad for a 4T. Nice and smooth without much noise. It definitely does not have the same grunt on the get go, but once up to speed it was good enough. For a large car, it didn't feel it was struggling with the 4T, however I'd imagine it'd be hopeless at towing.

Even if you lowered the capacity of the 4L (sleeved down to 3.5 or 3.0L as you put it raven79), I doubt the Falcon would have sold very well...mainly because marketing/advertisement would have just been as woeful. Most of my friends didn't even know a 4 cylinder turbo Falcon existed!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am actually sick of the ad's. MMM and other stations have been plugging it now since before I stopped work ( about 4 months ago) and there has been plenty of ad's on the tv. Its also made waves in the car world, so most who know about cars have heard about it by now. Ford may have not spent a huge amount on selling this car to the public, but it known enough to make waves if it was going to. Truth be told the general public just dont like the idea I think.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've seen very very few adds for the Ecoboost & EcoLPI falcons. Plenty for the Territory & Focus. That tells me that Ford AUS have already s**t the falcon. Such a shame. The EcoLPI falcon would be a great family car, run cheaper than most 4cyl family car's, and have more space to boot.

The sales issue is really very simple. It hasn't been marketed well. I mean look at how lousy the ve v6 commodore is? It's sold in droves. Let's face it, the engine is a pos! Yet it still sells! Why? Marketing done well.

Yes I've driven a few.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Yep, i also think its down to no-one really knowing anything about Fords. Everyones bombarded with adverts for commodores and none for falcon. ToranaGuy said the VE v6 commys suck, but i personally think most v6 commy engines suck. Mums VZ sounds like a screaming donkey when its revved, and after looking up the specs, i discovered my old XG has more torque. God sake ford. Tell people that the Falcon exists and let them know of its brilliance and you might actually get some buyers.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Upper management have made up their mind. That's why most of their graduate engineers f**k off over to toyota, hyundai and holden. There is nothing more frustrating than having your creative freedom stifled because the company does not want to invest in its own product lines.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
I am actually sick of the ad's. MMM and other stations have been plugging it now since before I stopped work ( about 4 months ago) and there has been plenty of ad's on the tv. Its also made waves in the car world, so most who know about cars have heard about it by now. Ford may have not spent a huge amount on selling this car to the public, but it known enough to make waves if it was going to. Truth be told the general public just dont like the idea I think.

They have a lot of adverts for other products, not the Falcon 4T or Falcon LPi, both of which are quiet cost efficient for customers. Lower fuel consumption on the 4T and lower cost of LPG for the LPi, hell the LPi has better torque/power than the unleaded equivalent (according to their specs). I have come to the conclusion that most people buy vehicles to show off to their friends, families, random clowns so they buy something European or something upper class Japanese cars. Not many people are impressed when you say you drive a 2012 Ford FG G6E compared to a 2008 Audi A4 which are of similar price.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:44 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Three years down the track and not much has changed.

How ironic that the photo in the OP's post is in fact my actual Car. I've owned it for two years and it just passed 39,000km a couple of days ago. It started out as a Ford media fleet car and after a few thousand kilometers wound up being sold into the dealer network and made its way to Perth, where I bought it.
I traded my 230,000km tuned 4.0 BA which had a flash tune, sports exhaust, CAI and a few other mods and made 170kw at the wheels. This Ecoboost is actually quicker than the BA was and gets much better economy too. The BA got 13.5-14L/100km around town, while the Ecoboost gets 9.0-10L/100km.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2