EF XR6 - Factory Premium Sound System Upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: EF XR6 - Factory Premium Sound System Upgrade
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Hi Everyone,

Last year I bought another EF XR6 that has the Mid-Series sound sytem fitted to it with optional boot CD stacker and dash tweeters.

Over the last couple of months I've been collecting all the components and bits and pieces needed to upgrade it to the premium system as was fitted to Fairmont Ghia's, Fairlanes etc

During the week the head unit and processor arrived so tonight I connected eveything up just to test things out.
So connected the rear speakers and the sub to the amp.
The cone surround of the sub had perished and fallen apart so other than being an electrical load on the amp the sub wasn't doing anything.

So powering the system up and everything seemed to work.
Radio works ... as does the CD stacker and the tape player.
The amp powers up and works ... all the controls and displays on the processor works as well.

However one thing I noticed when adjusting the fader front to back was how much lower the volume of the rear speakers were compared to the front speakers now that they were connected to the amp.

With the original mid series head unit fading front to back the speakers were pretty much the same volume level ... with all 4 speakers being powered off the headunit.

Now with the premium head unit the front speakers are powered from the head unit but the rear speakers are now powered of a separate amp ... and there is a large gain mis-match between the front and rear speakers.

So I am wondering ... do I have a problem with the amp having the rear speaker output so low compared to the front?
There are no gain or level controls on the amp so I cant adjust it's volume relative to the front speakers.

Never having used a premium system from the EF/EL era I have no idea if this is normal operation or if I have a problem?
I don't know if this has any bearing on things but the amp came from a 1994 EF and the headunit/processor from an EL.

Thoughts?

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]