Amazing mod for Ford EF EL - fix for annoying swinging doors 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Amazing mod for Ford EF EL - fix for annoying swinging doors
Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Sick of your E series door not staying open and always swinging shut?? read on!!!

I just want to describe to you guys a mod I made a few years back (2011) experimenting for my EL I had, which had the typical swinging doors problem. Ill explain
INTRODUCTION:
A long long time ago, when the e-series rolled off the factory line, the doors would stay open when you opened them. yes, I grew up without ever having the pleasure of experiencing this ever in my life, because after about 80 000 kms, the e series doors would automatically swing shut and close again, because the rubber in the bracket would wear out because they were tiny. I sat and pondered, and went to the wreckers.

PROCEDURE
I was looking around and spotted an AU and a BA nearby. I looked at their door stop check rubbers, and they were pretty chunky. I opened the AU/BA door and it stayed open..wow! lol (both use the same door check stop bracket thingy) So I pulled it off. I went back to my car, and compared it to mine, and saw that the AU/BA door check bracket was slightly longer (about 1-2cm longer, cant remember) I went to the bench clamp, locked it in, cut off about 1-2 cm from the tip (cant remember off the top of my head, will do this mod again soon and clarify and confirm the exact numbers), drilled a hole half a cm back, and shoved it into my EL. i fiddled around with the brackets, and fit them in. IT WORKED! :D the only work i had to do was cut off a bit from the tip and drill a new hole. I think i swapped over the door bracket rear bolts and nuts and bracket but can't remember.

Ill add a few diagram pics as I need to re-do the mod to take actual pictures.

You can do this easily!! Its much stronger than factory, and will keep your doors open till kingdom come! cos ef/el doors are damn heavy

Ps: mods, you can take this to the appropriate section/make it a sticky. this is a tried and proven mod. I can do this over the weekend and provide detailed pics, but its quite simple and straight forward. also, im sure this works for ef/el, but i havent tested them on an ea-ed yet. im not sure if theyre the same..

disclaimer: sorry guys i flogged the pics from the internet. until i re-do the mod sometime this weekend hopefully, ill just make do with these pics.

1. ford au/ba door check strap stop bracket
Attachment:
File comment: the product
ba.jpg
ba.jpg [ 266.51 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

2. the door check thingy on a BA
Attachment:
ba 2.jpg
ba 2.jpg [ 177.54 KiB | Viewed 431 times ]

3. the door check thingy on a EF EL. (this ones not from an el, but they look similar). theyre both from some hilux, comparing the sizes of the ones from the uk and us. both are accurate for an EF/EL
Attachment:
doorchk.jpg
doorchk.jpg [ 37.67 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

4. the approximate length of the EL door check. they are SHORTER, and the connection is DIFFERENT. so you need to cut it shorter and drill a new pin hole.
Attachment:
assys.jpg
assys.jpg [ 47.67 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]

5. cut the au/ba one,
Attachment:
ba cut.jpg
ba cut.jpg [ 230.91 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]

6. put the EL's hinge onto the ba one. no need for pics, pretty straight forward.
7. shove it into your EL. you may need to swap over the hinges or something like that, cannot remember exactly. however, the most important thing was to CUT the au/ba bracket shorter and drilla new hole.

ps: dont cut it too short or the fat au/ba door check rubber will fall too short for the length of the long tab, and you will be unable to open your door to full length and engage the bracket properely (it wont sit into the bracket if it is too short). and this mod is for front doors, never tried one for the back doors.

oh yes, if you want to add a multi-stage opening sequence, just bang a notch or two into your desired location along the metal tab i rekn.

hint: go for passenger doors on an au/ba. theyre less thrashed than a drivers door, and you will see when you test it out. plus, stay away from ex taxis lol theyre almost as bad as el doors....

cheers!
kayi

Attachments:
ba 3.jpg
ba 3.jpg [ 227.2 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]

Post subject: Re: Amazing mod for Ford EF EL - fix for annoying swinging doors
Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef2 fairmont ghia/el gli

WA, Australia

Just might have to try this. :)

ef2 fairmont ghia tickford 6
el gli lowered xr diff extractors fairmont ghia interior tickford spoiler kit

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Awesome idea. Never even thought about the AU/BA ones being able to fit the EF/EL. That's seriously a "must do". Thanks heaps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

komboxr6:
Go for it mate... infact, take a few pics and make a better one than mine, and maybe the admins should make this a sticky in the tech doco?

efxr6wagon:
Haha yeah I was also wondering that too, even though I still had the car relatively new back then and it was my first car and I was a total noob with e-series, it just came as a sudden epiphany to me and I found myself at the wreckers searching for door check brackets lol. Naturally I went for an AU/BA cos theyre Fords and I thought hey, might as well put a newer part on.

Apparently Mitsubishis are a direct fit on, but they are of the same meagre quality as the EF/EL (small bracket, small rubber stops that wear out really quick)

The AU/BA ones are really FAT and thick, and will likely outlast both you, your car and the lifespan of this galaxy, too. They go excellent for the relatively heavy EF EL doors.

Cheers,

Kayi

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: El Fairmont Ghia 4.0L

SA, Australia

Silly question..
How the F**k do you get the EL checkstraps out on the drivers side?
Looks like it comes out on the inside of the cabin up under the dash... behind the kick panel and boonet release and 2 million wires...

Please explain..

Thanks

One Man

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

@oneman: to remove it, just push the wires aside.. i remember it being quite crowded in there, but not too difficult.

the AU BA ones have to replace the ones in the body. then you click it into the existing hinge bracket in the door. read below:

to remove: get hammer and screwdriver and punch the pin out from underneath. make sure its not windy or your door will swing and damage ur guards.

remove the existing EL bracket on your body side. put the BA one in. make sure you chop the BA one's round head off and drill the same size hole just about half a cm inwards from the tip.

align the two holes

shove in the pin.

please, make this a technical doco. i haven't had the time to do it yet.

youre the man, oneman. youre the one man. lol

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: El Fairmont Ghia 4.0L

SA, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:

please, make this a technical doco. i haven't had the time to do it yet.

youre the man, oneman. youre the one man. lol

Ha ha.. Well i have had time to go to the wreckers and get a pair of BA coon door brakes (checkstraps) and did have a really quick go at checking out an EL to see how they come off.. that's when i thought i'd ask. Glad I did. I'll see how the time goes this weekend to have a crack at it, yes yes, will take pics.

Thanks ahmedkayihan for your speedy reply.

One Man

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Awesome, Im happy if I could be of any help. If you have any questions, just ask me, Ill try to help to the best of my ability.

PS: use passenger door check straps, because the drivers side is always thrashed (stay away from taxis altogether, theyre ones are really thrashed).

If you want, go for it and make a techincal doco :)

regards,,

Kayihan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]