Au barra conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Au barra conversion
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU3 Tickford

QLD, Australia

Hi,

I'm currently looking to convert my au VCT engine with a Barra turbo with 6 speed automatic transmission. There isn't a lot of info regarding this swap as it would be a very involving and time consuming job. I would like to keep the interior exactly the same but if I did this conversion I'm sure the speedo wouldn't work possibly the central locking and other things like cruise control. The next option is to have another donor au falcon for use as a trial. then buy a wrecked Ba or Bf with low kms, convert the dash,instrument cluster, steering wheel and trial fit to donor falcon. If doing this you will need to change door skins and centre consol. also you would need the ECU and BCM from the ba falcon to fit and plug in. This idea is probably the easiest and best way (in comparison). My question is has anyone attempted this idea or completed a similar project. There was a ef falcon I believe that was near in completion on you tube but on the first drive the tail shaft snapped and ripped a giant hole in the body. Any info regarding this would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Au barra conversion
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

I have seen a post somewhere, on the FordForums I think, of a barra conversion into an AU. The modded the cam gear so the AU ECU would activate the VCT bit. I think they used atomic cam gears to redial in the cams. Jump on fordforums and do a search, I'll update this if I find it.

EDIT: found it: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11381458

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

eskyrat wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently looking to convert my au VCT engine with a Barra turbo with 6 speed automatic transmission. There isn't a lot of info regarding this swap as it would be a very involving and time consuming job. I would like to keep the interior exactly the same but if I did this conversion I'm sure the speedo wouldn't work possibly the central locking and other things like cruise control. The next option is to have another donor au falcon for use as a trial. then buy a wrecked Ba or Bf with low kms, convert the dash,instrument cluster, steering wheel and trial fit to donor falcon. If doing this you will need to change door skins and centre consol. also you would need the ECU and BCM from the ba falcon to fit and plug in. This idea is probably the easiest and best way (in comparison). My question is has anyone attempted this idea or completed a similar project. There was a ef falcon I believe that was near in completion on you tube but on the first drive the tail shaft snapped and ripped a giant hole in the body. Any info regarding this would be much appreciated.

Why would you need to convert the dash doors etc unless you wanted too.

There are plenty of conversions done on earlier models, EA, EB, ED, EF, EL, AU, fitting Barra engines both Turbo and NA. Also Cortinas and X series.

If you need more info on fitting a Barra Turbo to an AU, contact macxr8 on this site. He has installed a Barra Turbo with a 6 speed into his AU XR6 without altering his interior.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU3 Tickford

QLD, Australia

Thanks guys I will have a look. Cheers for the info. I'll keep you updated once I start and will take a series of photos of the project.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]