Fordmods Logo

Advice about modifying LPG electrical in a EF falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice about modifying LPG electrical in a EF falcon
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 Falcon futura Wagon

SA, Australia

Hi aknowing my true fuel level have a few questions about wiring a gas system to read on my petrol gauge

* my falcon uses a separate box for leds for level and the change over switch.
I'm wanting to do this because all the lights have turned on the gas gauge and they aren't turning off so I am not knowing what the true fuel level is

Post subject: Re: Advice about modifying LPG electrical in a EF falcon
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The problem is usually the LPG Fuel sender (they wear out) on the tank, and not the gauge. LPG Gauges are pretty notorious for not being accurate.

For Falcons - you can buy a replacement sender for the tank that gives the same readings as the factory fuel gauge. So you just wire in a relay to switch over between fuel gauges when you switch between fuels.

Again - LPG gauges arent known for the incredible accuracy but I had an EB with this setup, and even the trip computer ended up being close (It was LPG Injection, back in about 96)

One thing you will find with LPG is that its usually very consistent with consumption - you should be able to work out how much you have left by how far youve driven. For example, No matter how bad I drive my LPGi 5.0 EL, I will always get 400km/tank, sometimes being good I'll get 460

Nigel

Post subject: Re: Advice about modifying LPG electrical in a EF falcon
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 Falcon futura Wagon

SA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
The problem is usually the LPG Fuel sender (they wear out) on the tank, and not the gauge. LPG Gauges are pretty notorious for not being accurate.

For Falcons - you can buy a replacement sender for the tank that gives the same readings as the factory fuel gauge. So you just wire in a relay to switch over between fuel gauges when you switch between fuels.

Again - LPG gauges arent known for the incredible accuracy but I had an EB with this setup, and even the trip computer ended up being close (It was LPG Injection, back in about 96)

One thing you will find with LPG is that its usually very consistent with consumption - you should be able to work out how much you have left by how far youve driven. For example, No matter how bad I drive my LPGi 5.0 EL, I will always get 400km/tank, sometimes being good I'll get 460

Nigel

Thanks mate, I will give it a go and report back on what happens

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]