Fordmods Logo

ef keyless entry transplanted into XG Ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: ef keyless entry transplanted into XG Ute
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Ute

WA, Australia

Need some clues on my recent transplant. My XG has a samrt lock flashing indicator but I couldn't find the module that does all the clever stuff. I had an EF BEM and the door motors which I have put into my XG. I used the info from Fordmods to suss out the pinouts and strangely enough it has all worked out good except the doors self lock after a short time after unlocking them, doesn't matter whether the key is in or out or whether the car is running or not, the locks just shut.
Can anyone help me with what input the smart lock BEM needs to tell it not to autolock. I have only connected up what was needed to make the central lock and remote entry stuff to work, also connected indicator flashers but not horn or door open wire/dome light, is this my problem?

Post subject: Re: ef keyless entry transplanted into XG Ute
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

not too sure if the e-series ones did it, but most cars when unlocked but no doors or anything has been opened then it will relock itself, but if u unlock then open a door and then close ti and leave it, it should stay unlocked. as soon as key is in the ignition barrel it shouldnt lock its self, but by that time you have opened door anyway.

hope i got that right, some please correct me if i am wrong.

cheers

Pacey 4499 and 2.5 exhaust single muffler

Alpine head unit and front splits
2x kenwood SVC subs, clarion amp, pretty weak setup,but goes good enough for now

20" fairmont rims, if only they existed

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The BEM needs to see the courtesy lights are on - you should find there are 2 connections to the BEM - 1 to fade the lights, the other to detect. The courtesy light lines should be black/blue colour.
Because the smartlock portion is not used, the ignition switch position is not relevant.

You actually could've connected the actuators to the existing smartlock module, which sits behind the LH dash air vent - the lock line, the unlock line, and the line for the boot switch, for programming the keyfobs. For the 'boot switch', probably a switch in the kickpanel will suffice for the programming. This setup is the same as EB/ED smartlock module.
You should consider this option, as everything will work as per the passenger vehicles, such as courtesy lights on when unlocked with keyfob, horn blip when doors not closed properly when locked, etc.
You could use a sedan keyfob with a boot button to unlock a hardtop lid as well, as that function exists in the XG smartlock module, but isn't wired up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks effalcongli and snap0964, both replies have got me on the right track. Should have gone onto this site before diving into this mod, could have saved me a day or so mucking about without the assistance of the trusty old multimeter which some bastard pinched from my shed.. I searched all around the inside of the XG but couldn't find anything that resembled a BEM so I guessed Ford had done a shonky with the XG and had a claytons smartlock. I had assumed the dome light and door switch wires were to do with each other and since I didn't particularly care about the dome light coming on at unlock, never bothered to connect them, I did however run these lines out from the BEM for future connection if desired to save me going back into the dash later on so in the morning I will uncoil them and hook em up. To Snap, even if I did find the XG smart lock I probably would have added the EF BEM as it came with the keyfob and my suspicious nature would have convinced me that the earlier smartlock might have been non compatible. Can't help feeling that the XG is made from leftovers but it is such a smooth car to drive and it can tow! I bought it to tow my caravan back from Melbourne after my series 11 Disco renegged on me half way across the Nullarbor on the way over to get the van. I'm so impressed with the XG I am keeping it and setting it up as my usual tow vehicle.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

garybenno wrote:
To Snap, even if I did find the XG smart lock I probably would have added the EF BEM as it came with the keyfob and my suspicious nature would have convinced me that the earlier smartlock might have been non compatible.
Nah, all smartlock systems EBII - AUI are compatible with each other. The keyfob will learn okay with the XG smartlock module. The only other thing I missed above is connecting the indicator lines to the smartlock module.
garybenno wrote:
Can't help feeling that the XG is made from leftovers
XH is same too, Dude.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks Snap I will log that info into my rather tired brain. I had connected the indicators and this morning hooked up the door switch wires so now it doesn't lock itself unless it senses no door open activity. This unit is actually the first time I have owned a falcon but all my kids have had various versions which I have had the dubious pleasure of keeping on the road. My 2 sons entered an old XF that had seen better days into a local burn-out comp and beat all the souped up units, sure p****d off a few of the local rev heads, I tell em the falcoon might be tough but they missed out on the Valiants. Once again thanks for your help.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep NP.
Yes, the Valiants were certainly underated vehicles.
I doubt younger people would have any idea what a torsion bar suspension is.
Certainly end of an era when Mitsubishi took over.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Panelvan Longreach

QLD, Australia

Hello
I have a xg panelvan.
Been stored for a while and want to start it now.
The smart lock light was flashing and engine wouldn't start.
Now light isn't on at all and still no start.
Interior light and under dash light are on.
Not sure what to try now.
Thanks from Tom.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

sounds a little like the smart lock module relay.. Or the starter. Can you confirm the starter is in fact getting power when you turn the key

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Falcon Ute

VIC, Australia

I am wanting to do these things to my XG as well....
Great to know it can be done..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]