Fordmods Logo

Capa vortech - does anyone actually engineer? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Capa vortech - does anyone actually engineer?
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF Mk1 XR8

NSW, Australia

G'day

I've got a Capa V2 to stick on my BF XR8 and currently looking into what it'll take to certify the install and after asking around a lot of people (in the automotive biz), and getting a lot of blank stares i'm starting to wonder, does anyone actually both getting little centri blowers properly certified (for insurance/save on police hassle/etc), i know they're ment to be an ADR compliant kit so it shouldn't be that hard should it?

And also, for those that have got it all ADR complied, did you have any trouble passing emission tests? (or a noise test with aftermarket exhausts?), can you run the blower on the stock tune safely, get some power and still pass or does the car literally not run without even a generic base tune??

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Capa vortech - does anyone actually engineer?
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i did it on my ed with a centrifugal charger a few years ago, i had to have all the factory emission stuff in place, eg factory ecu, purge canister connected, pcv, breathers plumbed to supercharger intake, bypass valve/blowoff plumbed back to the intake, the car had to be road legal as in legal ride height and had to be legal exhaust, operational cat and noise under 90db..

it was a bit of work considering i had to raise my suspension with new springs, had a 3" exhaust which took 2 mufflers and a resinator to get it legal..
at the time (2009) i didnt need an emission test but i think it may be required now..

i now have a centrifugal on my au xr8 and havent bothered getting it engineered yet..
maybe next year ill look into it...

definately not safe without a tune and injectors unless your only cruising around off boost

Post subject: Re: Capa vortech - does anyone actually engineer?
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF Mk1 XR8

NSW, Australia

I've been looking into getting it certified (kits not fitted yet anyway).

Engineers basically said Emissions test from Botany/Penrith (proper EPA TEST), pass a noise test and thats it (considering the size of the brakes/etc already on the car).

I have an xforce 2.5" quadtip catback on it but i'm thinking of reverting it back to the stock exhaust, i think the xforce is going to be too loud (or maybe see if we can modify the center of it to quieten it down and keep the quadtip rear section being stainless though i don't really want to cut it up).

Other than that, it'll have stock cats/headers, no other real mods, cars already MAP but i'll plumb back the bypass valve just to reduce the noise.

it really just comes down to the tune, which is really the thing i'm stuck on now, since its xmas i'll probably have to hold off to the new year when everyone settles down a bit to start getting some answers as to whether a dyno tune will pass, or if they can make a passable/less performance tune/etc.

06 Model puts it in the Euro 3 category for emissions too

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]