Capa Vortech - Belt alignment 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Capa Vortech - Belt alignment
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF Mk1 XR8

NSW, Australia

G'day

so i got my Capa V2 Vortech kit in today (to test make sure everything works/is there/etc - i'll be removing the blower its self for a few weeks till the tuner comes back).

I've noticed the belt is very close/slightly rubs just below the rocker cover (i know the tolerance there is quite close on the last car the kit ran on, but from memory it was about a finger width of space). It also seems to walk side to side on the lower idler pulley, not on any of the other pulleys, IE, water pump, the factory tensioner and idler and the top capa idler pulley all run true (or atleast don't wobble), but the lower capa pulley the belt moves a few mm side to side as it runs.

I've rechecked everything, all bolts/brackets/etc. The blower and crank pulley, as far as i can determine, seem to be inline correctly (using a straight edge, with what i've got they seem extremely close to if not correctly inline)

So i'm putting it down to either somehow that lower pulley isn't running true (can't see how it wouldn't unless the pulley is damaged since it sits on one of the blower mounting plate bolt, i'm about to pull it to inspect it) or the blower is misaligned on the vertical plane (i'm not sure how to check this, i've also got not idea how to correct this!)

If anyone can though out of hints or tips or things to check/look at, i'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Capa Vortech - Belt alignment
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I used a nylon string line to check the belt alignment when fitting a Raptor SC. The belt tensioner assembly had to be moved out slightly using some washers to get it just right. Also, the bearing in your idler pulley(s) needs to be in excellent condition. Any slop can cause the belt to wander.

I learnt the hard way when the first belt jumped the pulleys, shredded itself and wrapped around the harmonic balancer :cry:

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]