Fordmods Logo

Show us your audio install -UTES ONLY 

Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post subject: Re: Show us your audio install -UTES ONLY
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

There are a few different products I used.

Dynamat - Pretty much a black tar on aluminium backing, designed to add weight to surfaces and stop resonance. Perfect for road noise and dealing with vibration also great for enclosing cavities where speakers will be mounted. I also used this to seal all holes.
Dynaliner - This is a closed cell foam, essentially just an adhesive layer of insulation thats another buffer between panels and the car.
Acoustisorb3 - This again is just fibre insulation, it's really thick and can be pulled apart to fill holes, this is a lot cheaper than Dynaliner but you will have issues trying to glue it to large vertical surfaces and that's why I used Dynaliner on the back wall.
I also used aluminium tape to seal holes where I didn't have enough space to use Dynamat.

My next area will be the doors, as mentioned by low_ryda you want to tackle the large surfaces first as they give you best result for money.
After the doors I would look at the roof next then pending results I might pull the seats out and finish off the wells and floor.

The few chances I have had to map the difference in road noise it's been raining so I will have to wait to compare results.
Talk soon,
J

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

oh the roof, don't get me started.... lol. You can watch it flex from the outside with a decent stereo. The standard roof lining in the ute has failed so I'm planning on doing that with the doors, one day. I'm not big on progress though haha

That acoustisorb sounds ok where do you get that from? Any high density foam should do. The trick is finding a nice thin thickness that's really high density and fairly forgiving around curved surfaces.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Acoustizorb isn't closed cell high density. It's like wall insulation.
Here are the stats - http://www.soundblock.com.au/pdf/tontin ... sorb_3.pdf
It's about $180 for 3 2.4 x 1.2m sheets.
I'm using it as a filler, still using closed cell foam directly onto the dynamat where it's needed.
J

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Got a chance to run some tests today...

2009 Ford XR6 NA Ute - 19" dunlop @ 80kmph
AC off and vents closed - Dry road
Flat weighting with average of 3 tests ( The dB level will seem high because I didn't use C weighting )

Untreated cabin - 96.1dB
After rear wall and quarters treated - 93.2dB
Due to dB being a log measurement this is a reduction of half the energy.

Also running pink noise through the factory system has shown an increase of 1.5dB showing that the rear speakers are now a lot more efficient once in a treated cavity. On the graphs the speakers are now clearly voicing better below 100hz. With the doors treated this should become ever more apparent.

Sure some of you are finding this a bit boring but I just want to get some numbers behind all the claims that Dynamat make.
Cheers,

Here is un updated link to the rest of the Dynamat treatment - http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic ... r6-fg-ute/

Also the spec's on what I'm replacing the system with...

Dynaudio 242GT 6.5" splits
2 x JL Audio 6.5" Subs in rear speaker locations ( would have put 8"s but there isn't enough room )
Running off a JL X D 500/3

Just a little worried about noise off the factory FG ICC

Jason

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Very impressive Jason, i know i wouldnt have the patience to follow through to that extent... lol

umm quick question, unfortunately i dont have a ute anymore, but i now do have an FG xt. i want to run a full JL setup in the sedan, splits(front) w/amp, not sure what for the rear doors and possibly dual subs w/amp in the boot. anyways, my question is... what do you mean by 'noise off the factory FG ICC'? i have read about it from others, but the responses i have read have made little sense to me :/ so what do you mean? and how do you fix it?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

don't show your sorry a** around here asking questions like that you sell out... lol sold your ute.... XT.... didn't know they made those for men? :lol: just kidding. a bit disappointing though.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

you recon you are disappointed... i went out looking for a 8 cylinder manual ute and came back with a 6 cylinder auto sedan... :( and no, they dont make them for men unfortunately. so i have to make the best of it for the time being until i can tweak it a little to make me feel a bit more comfortable driving it...
i still look at utes driving past and think, dam that would look good on my car... HANG ON A MINUTE! :(

though it is nice to know that i will actually make it to my destination unlike what i was experiencing in the black beast...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It's ok I own a twin cam 6 cylinder auto sedan, its a mont which is good, but 4 speed which makes baby jesus cry.

I seen a 5litre AU on the side of the road the other day.... probably a column shift though easy enough to fix, specially since I'm looking at putting the auto back in mine so would have pedal box etc, not sure how hard V8 boxes are to find. Didn't really pay much attention though, I have too many cars to get rid of before I buy another :oops: As much as I first hated them, the AU is a beast of it's own. voted my best thrash unit falcon of all time.

Also I can barely afford to feed a hungry 6 cylinder let alone an 8... :cry:

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah the new 5 spd auto tranny's helped to ease me into it a little... but still missing the third pedal and the other exciting bits... :(

I recently got a new partner and now on the way to work from her place, i follow an AU xr8 white ute... just about makes me cry every morning :/ lol

i was getting ready to start slowly converting the fg into something that may command a little more respect... but then a little showed up at work with a picture of me driving the work ute. hmm lets just say the boss wasnt happy with me that day... so that has put things on hold for a long time yet. next investment might be a gps thing that beeps and screams when im over the limit... a car is no good without a licence to drive it lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

o and cheers JRJ for the message, helped a great deal. i can now read a few more threads without being at a complete lose for what they are discussing :)
thanks...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i have a small update for this thread finally, now that i own a ute once again... i unfortunately dont have any photos, but i have recently finished installing all the gear i had laying around. pretty happy with the result considering its still using the factory ICC for its source.

Front speakers
Focal Performace Access 6.5" splits

Rear speakers
Focal Performance Access 6.5" co-axials

Sub
Kicker R 12" 4ohm (may go dual later on)

Amps
Kicker 400w 4ch
Kicker 400w Mono

hoping to get a custom box made up in the future to display the amps alongside the subs... finish off the interior nicely

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5