Fordmods Logo

BF XR6 turbo conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: BF XR6 turbo conversion
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2006 BF XR6

New Zealand

Apologies in advance if this is a repeat post but I can only seem to find info on BA's and I'm guessing they are not exactly the same. Also don't bother with the "sell it and buy a factory XR6T" argument, it's not happening.

I have an 06 BF XR6 that I'm planning on turboing later in the year but i know very little about it. I was thinking a complete XR6T engine transplant but I've recently read that the NA and turbo engines are not too different from each other although I was unable to get a clear answer on the differences.

So basically, my question is, what are the differences between NA and turbo engines, (cams, valve train, rods, pistons etc) and is it possible/worth turboing the NA engine without too much of a fuss and it still being reliable as a daily?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 turbo conversion
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Keep it and buy another. A cheap crashed one and swap things over. The Turbo has a stronger diff, and all the factory stuff will work properly. Aftermarket stuff may seem fine, but could end up costing more. A factory Car wont get defects, and will be easier to sell later.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 turbo conversion
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

But if you do decide to go down the conversion road,, then when it comes time to get your Two Bar Map sensor Mr Ford will charge you $198.00 bucks for one.
So give him a miss & get a brand new one from Fiat truck Spares. Their Ducato Turbo uses exactly the same Bosch Map sensor & they only charge $70.00 GST Inclusive.
If that fails you can get one from Iveco trucks because their Iveco Daily Turbo diesel van, ute, tray-back use the same Bosch Map sensor also & they are $70.00 bucks also.
And yes they do work because I replaced my 2 bar Map with the Ducato version.

And if you need a 2 bar Map sensor wiring plug I have about 20 of them & I can get more.
Just give me a PM.
EDIT: Both Iveco & Fiat require you to supply a VIN (vehicle identification number) to buy the part.
But that's too easy as well, just go to QuickSales & get a VIN from a 07,08,09,11,12 Ducato or Iveco Daily that is listed for sale there. That's what I did.
EDIT: You can also get a Bosch 4bar fuel pressure regulator, Bosch o2 sensor (upgraded version) for less than half the Ford price if you look around & cross reference these parts on Google. All of the Bosch sensors are exactly the same part too. You will be amazed at how many other vehicles use the same Bosch electrical sensors (Audi, Bentley VW, Fiat, Iveco, some Hyundai models etc).
You would pay over $600 bucks these days from Ford for a Bosch MAP sensor, o2 sensor & 4 bar fuel regulator ( I priced them at Bremer Ford QLD), but I got these three exact same Bosch parts brand new for $187.00 bucks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]