Fordmods Logo

Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I'm actually in Bunnings now getting parts to make such a thing.

I just finished in Masters a few minutes aho, got some real cheap aluminium tubing and expensive as all hell bolts.

Now I'm looking for wire. The amp indeed recommends 4 gauge, and I am still unsure if my 8 gauge is enough or not.
Technically, I am going to be running the amp at less than half full power, but its my first time doing this, and I'm half relying on the information I was given by Autopro. They were the ones who said 8 gauge would be enough.

Edit:

I finished making my cradle / shelf.
All I need now is the 4 gauge wire I ordered through ebay. I couldn't get it anywhere else.

Image
Not pretty to look at, but it'll do the job with an inch of clearance and completely exposed vents.
I used some spring washers to ensure the nuts stay tight. The bottom ones are going to have the nut welded to the thread before final assembly.

Thank you everyone who contributed / participated in this thread.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
I'm actually in Bunnings now getting parts to make such a thing.

I just finished in Masters a few minutes aho, got some real cheap aluminium tubing and expensive as all hell bolts.

Now I'm looking for wire. The amp indeed recommends 4 gauge, and I am still unsure if my 8 gauge is enough or not.
Technically, I am going to be running the amp at less than half full power, but its my first time doing this, and I'm half relying on the information I was given by Autopro. They were the ones who said 8 gauge would be enough.

Edit:

I finished making my cradle / shelf.
All I need now is the 4 gauge wire I ordered through ebay. I couldn't get it anywhere else.

Image
Not pretty to look at, but it'll do the job with an inch of clearance and completely exposed vents.
I used some spring washers to ensure the nuts stay tight. The bottom ones are going to have the nut welded to the thread before final assembly.

Thank you everyone who contributed / participated in this thread.


That looks really good. It will be mostly hidden so doesn't have to look like a show finish!

I would go with 4 gauge if the manufacturer recommends it. If you can, bring the 8 gauge back to where you got it from and demand a refund. Go to JayCar/JB Hi-Fi and request 4 gauge. I'm sure they sell them there.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
I would go with 4 gauge if the manufacturer recommends it. If you can, bring the 8 gauge back to where you got it from and demand a refund. Go to JayCar/JB Hi-Fi and request 4 gauge. I'm sure they sell them there.



didn't think JB sell that .... welll didn't notice last i was there :roll: JayCar should have em tho
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

Unfortunately, neither are close.
All the best electronic shops near me and car specialty shops, all closed down just a few years ago.

The closest I know of is an over hour away.
I ordered some through the ebay dealer "super cheap audio"

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
phongus wrote:
I would go with 4 gauge if the manufacturer recommends it. If you can, bring the 8 gauge back to where you got it from and demand a refund. Go to JayCar/JB Hi-Fi and request 4 gauge. I'm sure they sell them there.



didn't think JB sell that .... welll didn't notice last i was there :roll: JayCar should have em tho


I must admit, the last time I was at JB Hi-Fi looking at car audio was about 4 years ago. I have noticed, though, that only specific JB Hi-Fi stores actually stock car audio now, mainly the stores that are outside a shopping centre.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
didn't think JB sell that .... welll didn't notice last i was there :roll: JayCar should have em tho


I must admit, the last time I was at JB Hi-Fi looking at car audio was about 4 years ago. I have noticed, though, that only specific JB Hi-Fi stores actually stock car audio now, mainly the stores that are outside a shopping centre.



the two JB's down here only seem to sell dvd/blu's, tv's, comps. didn't notice anything else along wiring lines. & now that the óld d**k has died off [when sold off to woolies .... went down hill! ] ..... we only have a Jaycar store with wiring/electronics :shock:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 1

Joined: 3rd Aug 2007

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: xr6

Location: newcastle
NSW, Australia

hey bro its easy to install 6by 9 in the au without adapters and not from under the boot either just bend the shape of the speaker hole inward towards boot bit fiddily but i did it plus put the amp behind the back seat easy
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
How are your 6x9s mounted?

Thought I'd elaborate on this a bit better than my last explanation by providing some images.
Image
Image

4 bolts hold the speaker grill and speaker to the spacer and adaptor.
The adaptor is bolted to the car from underneath using the original 5*7 screws. They hold pretty well.
The adaptor is made out of 9mm MDF
xrsixman wrote:
hey bro its easy to install 6by 9 in the au without adapters and not from under the boot either just bend the shape of the speaker hole inward towards boot bit fiddily but i did it plus put the amp behind the back seat easy

I'm not a fan of destroying my speakers just so they fit. Doing that, you're gonna get s**t sound by screwing up the cone depth.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it won't work with my speakers.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
phongus wrote:
How are your 6x9s mounted?

Thought I'd elaborate on this a bit better than my last explanation by providing some images.
Image
Image

4 bolts hold the speaker grill and speaker to the spacer and adaptor.
The adaptor is bolted to the car from underneath using the original 5*7 screws. They hold pretty well.
The adaptor is made out of 9mm MDF
xrsixman wrote:
hey bro its easy to install 6by 9 in the au without adapters and not from under the boot either just bend the shape of the speaker hole inward towards boot bit fiddily but i did it plus put the amp behind the back seat easy

I'm not a fan of destroying my speakers just so they fit. Doing that, you're gonna get s**t sound by screwing up the cone depth.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it won't work with my speakers.


I have never used a spacer from the stores before so didn't realise they have a nut/bolt system holding the speaker to the spacer. Do the nuts/bolts touch the parcel shelf and rattle? If so, is it possible to drill a hole in the spacer about the same size as the nut and epoxy the nut into the spacer? That way the nut is held in place and sits flush with the spacer, allowing you to remove the speaker without removing the spacer when need be. Just a thought/idea.

I believe what xrsixman is saying is to bend the factory holes in the parcel shelf out so that you can fit the 6x9s. Personally I wouldn't do that as it could be deemed illegal by modifying something structural without engineers certificate.

If you ever can be bothered and you like a factory look, make your own spacer out of mdf that sits under the carpet of the parcel shelf. Now I am not 100% how the carpet sits on an AU, but in the EL the carpet on the parcel shelf can be removed/lifted slightly to accommodate a small spacer. I made a whole new parcel shelf carpet, refer to this thread (shameless plug) for my 8" rear speakers. Made when I was still at uni with limited money...so a lot of the stuff is reused material I found at my parents garage.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for more bass, cannot sacrifice boot space
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I added the bolts myself :P
Its easier to unbolt from underneath as from on top, the window is more than a little in the way.
Thats also why I made it one unit instead of sitting it under the carpet.
The holes in the carpet are stupidly shaped anyway and the 6*9's barely cover them.

The bolts aren't an issue sticking out 3mm, as they actually sit about 8mm above the parcel shelf (raised speaker mount)

Thanks for the ideas though, something to consider in the future on another project!

Oh, and the carpeted 1" spacers come from Aerpro. I made the bottom part myself (non flat surface, needed the bolts to reach)

Edit:

Actually, this gives me an idea, I can ditch the grille and use the standard ones that come with the car! Just put the spacer beneath the whole thing, speaker too!

Thanks a ton.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names