Fordmods Logo

balljoint woes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: balljoint woes
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi thrillseekers, have been having trouble with front end (FE) alignment over the last few days.

WHAT I DID #1: I needed to replace an upper ball joint (BJ) a while ago, so, I thought I would replace the lot seeing as I had to do one side. So, bought a set of BJ's and shoved them in.

Went and had the FE realigned and the steering wheel was canted slightly to the left. I didn't bother about this as it was pretty small. Drove it like this for about 4 months. Tyre wear: perfect!

I eventually got sick of the steering wheel angle and went to have it straightened.

Got the car back and steering wheel tilted to the right! And a fair bit too.

Took it back, guy had another go but couldn't fix it, he said come back Monday and he will have another go.

Then I got to thinking. The troubles started after I put the new set of BJ's in, so dropped out one side to have a look

BLOODY HELL. The top BJ was only just moveable, and the bottom BJ was seized solid!! couldn't be moved by hand!!

Dropped out the other side, top BJ andbottom unmovable by had . I actually had to get a length of pipe to move the bottom joint.

WHAT I DID #2: replaced all the BJ's with new ones, after checking that they all moved freely.

RESULT: Steering wheel straight, no longer bump steers, and drives really well.

MORAL: check the parts before fitting!!! And don't accept that everything works as it should!!

8-)

Post subject: Re: balljoint woes
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Hi thrillseekers, have been having trouble with front end (FE) alignment over the last few days.

WHAT I DID #1: I needed to replace an upper ball joint (BJ) a while ago, so, I thought I would replace the lot seeing as I had to do one side. So, bought a set of BJ's and shoved them in.

Went and had the FE realigned and the steering wheel was canted slightly to the left. I didn't bother about this as it was pretty small. Drove it like this for about 4 months. Tyre wear: perfect!

I eventually got sick of the steering wheel angle and went to have it straightened.

Took it back, guy had another go but couldn't fix it, he said come back Monday and he will have another go.

Then I got to thinking. The troubles started after I put the new set of BJ's in, so dropped out one side to have a look

BLOODY HELL. The top BJ was only just moveable, and the bottom BJ was seized solid!! couldn't be moved by hand!!

Dropped out the other side, top BJ andbottom unmovable by had . I actually had to get a length of pipe to move the bottom joint.

WHAT I DID #2: replaced all the BJ's with new ones, after checking that they all moved freely.

MORAL: check the parts before fitting!!! And don't accept that everything works as it should!!

8-)

What brand were the Ball Joints?

Nicko

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:

8-)

What brand were the Ball Joints?

Nicko

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Can't remember offhand, but they were a reputable brand, and bought from a "proper" car shop, not off Ebay.

The second lot I bought were from Repco and were TRW.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]