Fordmods Logo

Plugs? Can I use 6cyl Holden plugs in 6cyl Ford? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Plugs? Can I use 6cyl Holden plugs in 6cyl Ford?
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Holden VPR, Ford EF, Holden VT

NSW, Australia

I bought spark plugs for my Holden VPR & never used them, So now I need new plugs in my Ford EF can I use those bought for the VPR in the EF?..they are just yr basic NKG sparks, the numbers on the box are as follows: 4871 (in bold type seperate to the next set of numbers) BPR6EFS-15.. yep I know it sounds like a dumb question but as I'm a starving artist I can save a little $$ here and get the old girl some new leads. I have rang super cheap autos but the idiots there had no idea when I asked them about the gap & if I could get the ratio difference between Holden & Ford, all I got was the sound of wind blowing through a tunnel. Thanks a bundle for any help, 1996 EF Ford Futura thanks you too she's running like a bag of s**t at the moment. Oh lastly any words of wisdom or tricks when doing welsh plugs? Never done em before & ive been told of ya don't get em in straight yr stuffed... so here goes please help... cheers Jennifer Davis :D

Post subject: Re: Plugs? Can I use 6cyl Holden plugs in 6cyl Ford?
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Welcome to fordmods Jennifer.

I did a quick check on the plugs on the NGK Australia website and attached the specs for both.
As you can see the VP plug is 1mm longer and a different heat range to the EF plug. The VP plugs also have a larger gap than the EF.

I would recommend getting the correct plugs for the EF to avoid any engine problems. The correct gap for them is 1.1mm or 43 thou.

With the welch plugs, they're not hard to replace. Here's a youtube clip that explains what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5kzuRj7Z4

Attachments:
EF plug type.PNG
EF plug type.PNG [ 86.38 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
VP plug type.PNG
VP plug type.PNG [ 102.2 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Holden VPR, Ford EF, Holden VT

NSW, Australia

Thank you, why diddnt the guy at the auto shop just say that! I guess he diddnt know 1mm makes all the difference + the heat range etc thanks again will give the welsh plug video a quick study. Excellent I appreciate your help and wealth of knowledge.. + your the only one that answered my querie. Your a Good man. Can you friend me here? For future queries? I don't think there would be too many that would get back to me with an answer. Wish me luck with the welsh plugs,,, your great xx JD
Just watched it, I'm not pulling my engine out to do it.... & WELCH sorry I spelled it wrong....
Just wondering what the holes were from anyways & I thing there from the forge or casting/moulding of the block am I right? whatever it's called, But why so many holes.... curious xx later.. JD god bless

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Jennifer wrote:
Just wondering what the holes were from anyways & I thing there from the forge or casting/moulding of the block am I right? whatever it's called, But why so many holes.... curious xx later.. JD god bless

from casting the block yes ... to make sure ALL casting material is removed [altho it's not]

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Jennifer wrote:
Can you friend me here? For future queries?

You can send me a PM if you have any questions and I answer them, or get you an answer from someone in the know.

You won't have to take the engine out to do the welch plugs. :) How many are leaking and where are they located?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]