Fordmods Logo

Ed xr6 starting issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Ed xr6 starting issues
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi all,

Car is a 94 ed xr6 auto. Recently started misfiring and running rough, replaced the distributor and ignition coil and it solved the problem. Set ignition timing as per workshop manual and car is running well. Only problem is now it struggles to start 50% of the time, motor cranks over good but will not fire. Sometimes it will almost start then stalls. Ive noticed when the car stalls it will sometimes splutter and turn over again on its own momentum. Can take 3-5 goes at cranking engine before it starts, othertimes it starts 1st go. I intially thought that the timing was out, have checked it numourous times adjusting slighlty each time to see if it helps the start up but no sucess. Plugs are new, leads have done about 20ks. Engine runs really well when its going, plenty of power no missfires or pinging. One thing ive noticed is that when it doesnt want to fire giving the accelerator a press usually gets it going. Possibly fuel problem or O2 sensor? Ive had the smartlock problem before, i dont believe this is the problem due to different symptoms.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Post subject: Re: Ed xr6 starting issues
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check the throttle body and ISC. They might need a good clean. Check the TPS as well while you're fiddling with the intake and air filter (badly blocked can cause issues).

Will the car start first time after you have driven it? Like going to the shops and on the way home the car starts just fine? Could be fuel delivery issue if the fuel filter is blocked or pump is on its way out.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

While replacing the dizzy i did give the throttle body a quick clean out as well as remove and clean the ISC. Will check the TPS when i get a chance.

Hot or cold start doesn't seem to make a difference, has had trouble starting on both occassions. Engine runs wells once its going which has kind of steered me away from fuel issues. I do hear the fuel pump prime once key is on.

This problem did start once the dizzy was replaced. I regretfully went for the non genuine dizzy and ignition coil, could this be half the problem?

Thanks for the reply

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

qwerty12345 wrote:
This problem did start once the dizzy was replaced. I regretfully went for the non genuine dizzy and ignition coil, could this be half the problem?

did you replace the new dizzy drive gear with the one from ya old dizzy?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

No I did not swap the drive gear as the old dizzy was already aftermarket so no point. I wasn't aware of drive gear stripping issues at the time, I probably will end up throwing a genuine one in there for piece of mind. If there was was not positive drive between the dizzy and cam gears I assume the car wouldn't be running well or at all.

Thanks for the reply

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]