Fordmods Logo

zl v8 conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: zl v8 conversion
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: zl fairlane,67 fairlane

SA, Australia

hey i want to put an e series v8 into my zl and was looking for some info and advice. i have 2 conversion options. one is to convert it to carby and use a zj/zk c4 behind it. two is use the e series motor/box/computer. i have a full donor car for the swap. and i have a c4 from a 302 cleveland zj/zk. i would rather go the carby/c4 option because it seems like less of a hassle. but i have some questions. what do i need to change when mounting the cleveland c4 to the e series motor. i was also planning to keep the late model belt/pulley system and thermo fans as well when converting to carby. is this possible? can i use the original 6 cylinder zl fuel pump to feed the carby v8? will that same fuel pump be suitable if i go the efi option? i was also planning on using the factory extractors from the donor car. will they fit? apart from carby, manifold, and distributor/coil, what else do i need to change for carby conversion? i know this isn't the combination for performance but i just want to get the swap done and then think about more power. if i go the full efi conversion, what body/ gearbox crossmember modifications are required?

Post subject: Re: zl v8 conversion
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

bleedblue69 wrote:
i have 2 conversion options. one is to convert it to carby and use a zj/zk c4 behind it. two is use the e series motor/box/computer. three is use the e series motor/ecu/c4.i have a full donor car for the swap. and i have a c4 from a 302 cleveland zj/zk.

can go that way too

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Most of this applies to you....
5-0-into-xg-t64924.html

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Id highly recommend the AU V8/BTR Option.

The extra gearing is very nice, especially if youve changed the Diff ratio to match. You can just about bolt in the EB-ED Sedan V8 Diff on that Model. Trans mount is a little work but not too much.

Changes the character of the car completely. Using the V8 option also greatly simplifies Wiring as there is no seperate TCM.

Ive done two conversions - one E Series V8 into XF, and one AU Series V8 into (E36 BMW) - the later conversion was much simpler electrically

Nigel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]