Fordmods Logo

Ford Falcon AU Sedan 1999 Tow Bar Installation HELP! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford Falcon AU Sedan 1999 Tow Bar Installation HELP!
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 1999

VIC, Australia

Bought a genuine 1600kg tow bar(with nuts, bolts and wiring loom) from the wreckers. All holes seem to line up and almost every bolt that is supposed to go through the holes in the tow bar seem to be welded into the chassis so at this point it seems like it will fit!

However the 18mm nuts on all these bolts will not budge... i went and bought a couple of adaptors for the screw driver so it can use 18mm deep sockets but they dont even look like coming loose...

has anyone fitted a Ford au tow bar before? i would love abit of information as to how it goes on or even a couple of photos of the underneath of the car from someone who owns an au falcon with a genuine tow bar installed!

my first post guys so if ive posted in the wrong forum or done anything else im not suppose to do, please let me know! I tried to find an install for a genuine au tow bar but cannot find anything....

Post subject: Re: Ford Falcon AU Sedan 1999 Tow Bar Installation HELP!
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

denepeep wrote:

However the 18mm nuts on all these bolts will not budge... i went and bought a couple of adaptors for the screw driver so it can use 18mm deep sockets but they dont even look like coming loose...

try using a 18 mm socket with either a breaker bar or use a pipe for an extension on the rachet.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! As silly as it sounds i thought drill power outweighed physical power so didn't even try the ratchet... Don't laugh I'm new to this, gotta start somewhere!

Okay so I have bent the wrench extender (was cheap so not too worried, you get what you pay for..) but got their in the end! oh and for the wiring loom (for anyone else who wasn't sure where it goes) there are 2 plugs in the bottom of the boot behind the rear lights under the carpet thing.. the whole that the plugs fit into are too small for the plastic plug on the loom to fit through so i had to get underneath the rear tire and drill out a whole in THAT plug.. its a much bigger whole/plug so it all fit through nicely with JUST enough length to get to where it is all suppose to go (behind the right tail light).

Now the tow bar is on I tried to put on the tow bar, only to realize it hits the tow bar and needs a rectangle cut right in the middle (like a lot of other cars I've seen) .... Argh.. any suggestions as to the easiest way about doing this? what tools will i need?

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

denepeep wrote:
Now the tow bar is on I tried to put on the tow bar, only to realize it hits the tow bar and needs a rectangle cut right in the middle (like a lot of other cars I've seen) .... Argh.. any suggestions as to the easiest way about doing this? what tools will i need?

will need pics for that one

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

sounds like he needs to cut the shape of the tow bar out of the rear bar!
so the tow bar does not damage the rear bar!

a dremel / rotary tool will work wonders :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yes rear bar! I should really re-read what I write before posting it... I ended up buying a coping saw, drilling a couple of holes and then sawing in between until I had the desired clearance for the tow bar to go through the rear bar!

Bit of a messy job if you look close at the cuts but the car isnt exacty in show room condition and its nothing a good file won't fix!

Will post a couple of photos tomorrow for any future installers wanting to know where the bolts go, where I had to cut incase it is the same situation for them etc...

Thanks for who replied! First time using this forum and it definitely won't be the last!

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

well done :)

yes i should have mentioned it will be messy!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
File comment: Okay so this is just a photo of the two bolts that go under the spare wheel cover thing.

There was a bracket on there before (refer to pic 2) which is replaced by the tow bar...

tow bar 1.jpg
tow bar 1.jpg [ 95.3 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I made the mistake (before i took this bracket off and not actually knowing that i HAD to take this bracket off that the tow bar fitted into this (as the under side of it looks like something sits inside..)

Wasted alot of time doing this so just take it off and be done with it!

tow bar 2.jpg
tow bar 2.jpg [ 128.66 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: yes there is rust.. works as it should so don't care!

close up of the cut. As i said in a previous post i just drilled a couple of holes (sometimes 3 in a row just so i could fit the blade in there) and then sawed away!

I didn't measure anything (which i should have done to save me time and maybe it would look a little better...) i just cut, slid the bumper on to realize it needed more cutting, took it off to cut, slid it on, repeated the process!

tow bar 3.jpg
tow bar 3.jpg [ 75.68 KiB | Viewed 495 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Finished!

Considering this is the first time i've done anything like this (other than fluid changes and bulbs etc) and to be honest the first time ive ever even used a drill! haha im pretty happy with it!

Doing it again, the hardest part is those stupid clips on the mud guards... once you get passed those its fairly self explanatory... the bolts lined up to holes so just screwed them in (make sure you do them tight.. like REAL tight. you'll know what i mean when it comes to loosening them if they haven't been touched before...) Overall - Fairing easy! 30 - 45 minutes if your taking your time and don't get stumped.

tow bar 4.jpg
tow bar 4.jpg [ 109.49 KiB | Viewed 469 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

Well done and great job!

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]