Fordmods Logo

Eb fuel pump removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Eb fuel pump removal
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB 2 XR65a

VIC, Australia

Hi there does anyone have a solution to removing the large hose clamp around the lid of the fuel pump ?
I cant get a screwdriver or spanner onto it. I'm out of ideas and thinking of dropping the fuel tank to get to it.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Eb fuel pump removal
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairmont EBII & EL 4.0

VIC, Australia

Hi I will be attempting this probably tomorrow after sorting ignition system. My Gregory's book says you have to drop the tank a little and they show a tool you can make up for the lid. Also says if you can't remove the clamp you will have to pull the tank (Uhhh)(read the note above pic in boot) Sorry tiny bit blurry but I could read all the figures. Hope this helps.

Attachments:
Photo0167.jpg
Photo0167.jpg [ 370.07 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]
Photo0166.jpg
Photo0166.jpg [ 473.02 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Just looked at mine as I already had the carpet and cover plate off. Can't see any clamp on mine, just the lock ring. Its been that way for a long time since before I got it so perhaps you just cut the clamp off and it doesn't need to be re-installed. As for the complicated ring removal tool, I found I have a 3 leg puller about the right size. The tips of the puller fit between the tabs on the lock ring. Just space the legs out on the tabs and twist the puller. Tighten up the leg joints in the puller before you start to remove play. Maybe spray some WD-40 around the inside of lock ring well before to give it time, I wouldn't create a puddle with it or it will end up in the tank.

Post job note: Yeh well 3 leg puller no way, couldn't put enough force on it, get the proper tool for removing lock ring. See more post below.

Last edited by acko on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Well the pump has been out of mine today and the filter was dirty but not blocked. Another guy helped me and he's done a few before. He says the clamp is missing on mine and should be there to make sure the lock ring stays tight, however its been without it a long time without problem. Short of it needing the clamp for tank integrity in a crash (which I'm not sure about) I won't be replacing it.
It pays to loosen the fuel cap prior to disconnecting fuel hoses to relieve the tank pressure otherwise petrol will pour out the hoses. You most likely need the special tool to undo the lock ring. You can make one per the book or I found Bursons sell them but you may have to order it. Friend had a 3 leg tool with hex nut on top to apply a spanner which worked well. Because of its size the lock ring takes a fair amount of torque to undo and re-tighten. Without the tool you run the risk of breaking the tabs off the lock ring. Make sure lock ring is seated properly and the top plate of pump is not loose after you re-install it. Best not twist on pipes for that or they will crack or break.
You might be interested that main seal under lock ring seems to be unavailable (tried to obtain one) except for some guy on E-bay has them for $50 out of Adelaide. Also found unlike tank seals on earlier models that swell on removal and refuse to go back a second time, these appear to have no problem being re-used. Also it appears filter sock on the pickup pipe is unavailable as a separate part (haven't tried E-bay) and only comes with a fuel pump kit (inc pump). Best not blow it out with compressed air in case it rips or fractures. Give it a gentle wipe and do a bit of CPR to make sure its not blocked.
Hope that helps.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Always Falcons.

VIC, Australia

Just measure size of o ring and order one... Not "vehicle specific".
Also, needs to be able to withstand petrol, make certain of that too.

If you're super SUPER careful, you can use a large flat head screw driver and a rubber hammer to undo the ring... But buying the proper tool and using a long handled ratchet or breaker bar is best way to go... When refitting, be sure to be super SUPER careful that o-ring doesnt start twisting with ring, because best case scenario it wont seal....

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]