V8 into XH 

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: V8 into XH
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

They're different in as much as there's no TCU in 6cyl cars so no wiring required. How that equates to manuals I don't know. I'm about to get genuine workshop manuals so I'll see what comes of that and let you know. Otherwise I have both factory V8 and 6cyl cars to look at.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
They're different in as much as there's no TCU in 6cyl cars so no wiring required. How that equates to manuals I don't know. I'm about to get genuine workshop manuals so I'll see what comes of that and let you know. Otherwise I have both factory V8 and 6cyl cars to look at.

I have both genuine manuals but I haven't yet compared the diagrams.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:31 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

frog wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

I have both genuine manuals but I haven't yet compared the diagrams.

Well get to it!

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I have just finished converting my XH I6 from coil/TFI to EF I6 EDIS, using the existing engine harness and using the auto trans harness for the extra wires (car's a manual) - few changes for the thermofan control, tacho signal, individual injector lines, sequencer, crank sensor. All in all, not too difficult.
Hopefully any coilpack replacements are easier now that it's moved and split in three coils.

I'd say you guys would need to add 6 extra injector lines, EGR, HEGO, MAF uses MAP wires, etc.
Both are coil/TFI, so shouldn't need any major changes there. Use the existing auto trans lines for the TCM. And 60 pin to 104 pin ECU connector. Starter motor changes sides ?

Inside the only addition from memory is the ventilation/AC has a recirculation override in the V8's.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:15 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Cheers Snap,
I think his best bet is to just bung the entire Fairlane harness in.
Btw for those that want to use a 5.0,5.8 or 7.5L V8 from an F-series it's very simple.
add two injector wires to the 4.0 Harness and plug the Speed density, Bank fired truck EECIV into the stock harness and away you go! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you still want to run the BTR auto it's a little more complicated but unless you've built the s**t out of it I wouldnt run one on a 5.8 or 7.5L engine anyway.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's true Pete - cutting/splicing wires for the ECU takes a lot of time. Wiring wise, they are essentially EL (with an EF BEM), the XHI's run the barrel and square connectors for the engine and trans, while the XHII's run the big block type connector near intake runners 5&6.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Quite right Snap, And unfortunately most people don't do it right either :roll:
With regard to trans you can also get another EEC connector and move pins to continue using the EEC to control the trans while the other EEC controls the engine. I did this on my boonger EB many years ago when I did a Mass Air conversion. Worked perfect.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I'll need to do similar - I lost SSPS because of going to the EF EEC. I'm hoping to get it back by running the 6DJB (EL ghia)piggy back with the EF ECU just powering it with batt/ign 12v, and the speed sensor signal, hooked up to the SSPS solenoid. Since the engine and trans sections work independently of each other pretty much, I'm hoping this will do same.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:02 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

That's funny, my XH panelvan has just set a PS switch fault code.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well I suppose once the V8 is in, all you'll need to do is put in a blanking bolt. :D

Actually, if you can get hold of an EL steering rack, fit it for faster steering, less turns lock to lock. All E series are 3 turns, 18.5:1 variable. All non XR XH's are 3.5 turns, 21:1 linear. EL's have the correct pinion spline.
Attachment:
BILD0248.JPG
BILD0248.JPG [ 201.8 KiB | Viewed 357 times ]
In the pic, XH rack is top, EL is the bottom.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yes I knew that one Snap. I had an XR8 wreck but a guy that bought some bits actually stole the rest of the car including the rack!? I think the V8S ute is just the fixed ratio job? I will get one for the van though it will have a V10.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Btw snap, is an EF base model also the variable ratio rack?

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:07 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, sorry mate, thought you might already know that, I think the V8S would be the std linear rack, as it's not an XR.
Yes, an EF rack is a variable ratio, but the pinion top is a fine spline, not a***, like the EL's & XH's. It's shorter than the EL/XH pinions, as they are longer to match the SSPS pinions in the EL ghias and NL's.
So the EF intermediate shafts are longer than the EL/XH ones. We did also discuss on here many moons ago about the EF/EL steering columns - the unijoint at the base has a different alignment to the intermediate shaft. I've overhauled 4 racks and added SSPS components, and have a SSPS rack fitted to my EF XR6 wagon project, I think from memory the steering wheel was a fair bit out from straight ahead, so removed and fitted 90 degrees, and adjusted the tierods to correct the rest. I think I lost slightly under 1/8th of a turn on one lock, so nothing major. Redo the clockspring as well.
I do have an EL pinion and pinion housing sitting here from a previous SSPS conversion, as you only need to swap them into the EF rack. If you need them ?
Can't use an XH pinion as it's gear is different meshing to the variable rack.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:41 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Thanks man! Good info!
Maybe I'll just go to a pwr steer mob and tell I want an EL rack straight off the bat?

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Just found this. Interesting how it says "doesn't suit V8"....Why?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON- ... SwdU1W80j3

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next