3v 5.4ltr v8 continuous ticking 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 3v 5.4ltr v8 continuous ticking
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 08 FG Ford Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys
Am new here and looking for advice/ information on the 3v 5.4 v8.
I'm looking to buy a 2004 ba falcon xls ute that I've come across, its tidy 4 spd auto with good ks has the 5.4 and is also gas injected.
I took it for a test drive and it drives great apart from a few little niggles is almost "perfect" for what I'm looking for.
But on start up it has a ticking that doesn't go away even after warming up, it doesn't adversely affect the performance of the ute coz it goes well but that noise is always there.
After talking to a few people they've all offered up different ideas as follows:
A: cam lashing?
B: it's the gas injection and it's normal for that
C: timing chain?
It's at a good price but is unreg'd so I don't want to be buying something that's gonna cost big on to fix b4 I even get it on the rd.
Any informed ideas as to what it might be and the possible repair cost would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 3v 5.4ltr v8 continuous ticking
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

My first thoughts are timing chain issues. Second would be the gas injectors, but they really don't tick all that loudly.

Can you hear the noise with the bonnet closed? If so, timing chain issues, ie worn guides, tensioners ect....

Which is a time bomb waiting to happen. I had the timing kit replaced on my wifes ba xr8, and only a few months later the nason supplied kit become noisy suddenly. Turns out the tensioner failed, and the Oring in it was leaking oil pressure, resulting in a slack timing chain. This was fixed, but not all expenses were covered under warranty.

Then, barely out of warranty, without any warning, the same tensioner that started to play up last time (whole timing kit was replaced), failed suddenly and catastrophically. Timing chain slipped, bound up, broke the cam gear, and bent 31 of the 32 valves. $4500 damage to the engine.

If you buy/ thinking about it, get the timing chain kit replaced asap!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks for your help with this, sounds like its more trouble than its worth, buying it for work could be a big mistake can't afford to be off the rd to do repairs.
cheers mate appreciate ur help.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

lairdcollins17 wrote:
thanks for your help with this, sounds like its more trouble than its worth, buying it for work could be a big mistake can't afford to be off the rd to do repairs.
cheers mate appreciate ur help.

No Worries mate.

My wifes BA Xr8 is liquid gas injected(orbital), you can hear the injectors tick slightly with the bonnet open, but you can't hear it with the bonnet closed. We also had a Ford Motorsport oil pump fit ( BIG $$$ )when the timing kit was first replaced, as these v8's are known for wearing the oil pump gears and having lower than ideal oil pressure. Ford actually specify the Motorsport pump as the service replacement for a standard pump.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA 3VM

NSW, Australia

The ticking is normally Phasers and I have no idea on price or what damage would result if not changed. Timing chain tensioners is normally a rattle that goes away after oil pressure builds up. If the rattle does not go away, you would need to turn off the car and walk away or replace timing chain tensioners.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

even with the bonnet shut the ticking was loud and clear, but yeah have decided to give this ute a miss just too risky.
thanks for the info and advice guys cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]