Fordmods Logo

boss 260 oil pump replacement. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: boss 260 oil pump replacement.
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon, BA XT, BA XR8

QLD, Australia

Hey I've looked around for info about replacing the oil pump but there isn't anything in detail. I thought the engine had to cone out so i pulled everything off but just lifted the engine up and lowered the k frame for getting the sump off. Needed to change powers steering rack also so i pulled it off so could get to sump bolts easier. I'm in the process of taking the front cover off but is there anything else i should look out for or replace while doing this? I bought a timing chain too in case it needed replacing too even though its not making noise. Engine is lifted up with an engine crane but have to drop the engine back down to take the casing off. Any help will be muchly appreciated.

Ford Falcon ba XR8 260 boss. Pacemaker extractors 100 cell cats with twin 3" out the side. Full ss throttle body and piping. Short shift kit with custom tune.

Post subject: Re: boss 260 oil pump replacement.
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I've bought oil pump because i hit the sump and the oil light turned on. It was at walking speed in a park like pull in area with a toilets but checked straight away and no oil leaks but light won't turn off. Next day still no leaks figured just a sensor. After a few hours of driving since the knock the Ute started not firing properly while on the hyw and losing power. I took it out of gear to see how it would idle and it cut out and didn't get it started after. Got it towed home, tried turning it on the next day and it started then cut out but was ruff. Tried again with a scaning tool plugged in. Got it running while feathering the throttle to keep it running but no codes. Used oil pressure tester and was 0 so hence replacing the pump. I bought new spark plugs, coil pack, drive belt, co2 sensors and a timing chain kit if needed. The ute is at 196k's and serviced every 5k. Was service earlier in the week this happened.

Ford Falcon ba XR8 260 boss. Pacemaker extractors 100 cell cats with twin 3" out the side. Full ss throttle body and piping. Short shift kit with custom tune.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Ba has the plastic timing chain tensioners,id replace them.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
Ba has the plastic timing chain tensioners,id replace them.

Do you know if the rocker covers have to come off to pull the front casing off? Never done this kind of thing on a v8 before so I'm just guessing because i don't really want to fork out the extra cash.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
check for any wiring that may have come loose

I went over the lot and had a guy from racq have a look too and narrowed it down to the pump failing. Idled ruff like on limp mode but couldn't keep up the revs and died every time.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Looks like one of the chains snapped. What would be the best way to get the timing back in? Photo is to big to upload.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]