ECU Adaptive memory 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: ECU Adaptive memory
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

just lately on my ba 4.0 when I install an edited tune file from sct xcal 3 the ECU accepts the changes as it should & it will drive perfectly all day with the new tune file installed until I turn off the key.
But the problem is that the ECU is only keeping the new Tune settings for a short time. (until the next start-up). Soon as I restart all of the new tune settings are gone.

For some reason the ECU adaptive memory is reverting all the new tune settings back to how they were in the previous tune file.
Maybe I should revert back to the old school way of doing things by Flashing the ECU & then disconnecting the battery trick to clear the adaptive memory.

Anybody else had this problem on a ba 4.0 with an xcal 3?

Post subject: Re: ECU Adaptive memory
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF XR6T Falcon

SA, Australia

I don't believe it. Can you read the tune back out the day after and compare the file to conclusively say it is reverting the tune?

Sounds more like a problem with your injector slopes. If you put in the wrong figures it will tend to drive in open loop fine (despite being rich/lean) but the next day when the long term fuel trims start to learn around the conditions you can cause it to fight.

Eg if you are lean at idle but rich at 1000 rpm due to wrong injector slopes the ECU will end up learning rich and then lean for the same MAP point. This will cause the O2 to self correct constantly and you end up with an oscillating rich/lean which causes all sorts of issues. You can test if this is the issue by unplugging the O2 sensor and writing the tune, this will disable all long term fuel trims.

The adaptive memory is only long/short term fuel trims afaik and these are only active in closed loop (low throttle, low rpm), the actual maps are hard coded and will not change.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

edit: double post

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

OK, that sounds right to me too but to be more specific, my Tuner changed the Rev limit in Neutral/Park to a lower setting than is listed on the xCal3 settings (2300 rpm). The xCal3 only goes as low as 2500.
This was changed because at start-up the TPS was telling the ecu that the throttle was closed, but the MAP sensor which is downstream from the intercooler & plumbing (which are all full of air at start up) was telling the ecu that there was heaps of air because this stored air rushes into the plenum at start-up. The ECU would freak-out & put it into limp mode.

This setting is what keeps changing. If I write the tune file to the ecu it always starts at 2300 rpm on the first start, but after that it reverts back to 2500 rpm or higher. I have tried it at least 10 times now with the exact same outcome each time.

But I fixed it & moved on by making a vacuum operated air restrictor that works for 5 seconds at start-up, after 5 seconds it opens up to allow normal air flow again & the issue has gone. I just modified an old BA throttle body I had lying around and it works a treat. I did try an imported throttle body from China & it looked really schmick but after abut 100 kicks (starts) it leaked at the shaft.
The throttle body on the left is the modded one.
Here is a closer view of the restrictor

Last edited by BongoKongo on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

That is very interesting, perhaps that setting is overridden by another limit somewhere as they are hard coded in flash as afaik cannot be overwritten by the PCM unless you flash it.

If you do a read back out of the ECU is set back at 2500?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yep, actually I haven't checked what rpm it reverts back to on a readout. I contacted the Tuner & he said it couldn't happen either. But I just went and disconnected the diverter & had another look.
By the Tacho when its cold it revs heaps higher than 2500 it's reverting back to the standard Ford setting, it revs its nuts off. Once its hot it revs to about 2500 rpm but.
Anyway I will just continue to use the previous tune & set the neutral rpm limit to 2500 & the diverter takes care of any excess air at start-up.
I am going to experiment with a bigger Bypass valve on the blower to see if that helps too. I got a proper sprintex BPV that is New but has been sitting on a shelf for 6 years for less than half price still in the sealed bag it was born in..eBay can be Pus but sometimes it's a ripper.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Sounds like when cold it is using the cold start map which has different dash pot airflow, cam timing, fuel mixture and ignition timing which results in it revving higher. Is it noticeably different when warm vs cold?

Is this a ba/bf/fg ecu? If you can data log the cold start vs warm start I can tell you which map needs adjustment. Do you have an xcal and laptop?

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Its a BA ecu
yes I have laptop & xCal3 although the laptop hasn't been used in quite a while because its Sh*t. Might need to borrow a decent one to do this. I will get my brothers on the weekend and install the software & do a data log. I will pm u when I have it.
Here is a photo of the Chinese throttle body I modded. I had to cut it in half, then design & weld up all of the linkages etc to suit, pity it leaked because it looked sweet. The new (BA Version) one works better but is not as appealing to the eye. O' well U get that sometimes.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Log the following in livelink

warmup occurred
intake temp
coolant temp
rpm
spark
o2 long term trim
cam angle

Do it when cold and then when hot and start the car (not sure how easy it is to start logging before you actually start the car).

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok

Last edited by impaler on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Looking forward to your lawsuit with SCT....

It looks like your are simply selling a cracked copy for $3k. Very dishonest.

Last edited by rolls on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

impaler wrote:
World-1st unique & downloadable fully independent software
SCT Device Tool, Unlock, unmarry and gain total control of SCT X3, X4 devices plus more
SCT Tune Editor, Unrestricted tune creation-editing anywhere plus more USA UK AU
see lasernode.com

I got rid of that car, but as for your SCT device unlock program, I'll believe it when I see it ( many have tried & failed).
And as for your website - "lasernode.com" well, it doesn't seem to exist any more... Wonder why
Even if such a program & site does exist I doubt it will last long once SCT get wind of it.
Lots of Businesses paid big dollars to those SCT guys because it was all in-house & locked up to keep the Tune info out of the average Joe's hands.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok

Last edited by impaler on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

impaler wrote:
Also we have already received legal threats and demands from SCT lawyers, with SCT demanding to know exactly how we did it and exactly who was involved etc among a ton of threats they made, but upon our own legal advice the threats were proven to be without substance and we are within the law and within our rights to develop our own software as described.

The proof will be in the pudding. I'm curious how you can reverse engineer SCTs hardware and software yet still be within the realms of the law. Trying to argue interoperability will be a tough one.

I'm sure SCT have a much bigger lawyer budget than you do as well!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]