Fordmods Logo

Solar reflective top coat + clear 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Solar reflective top coat + clear
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

OK, been googling and there are a few ways paint can now have additives that reflect various radiations (UV's and IR) typically through various sized ceramic nano particles and chromium dioxide.

I live in regional cook ya head @55 degrees heat and my wagon needs a new top coat and clear to spruce up and protect. Talked to my local paint guy who is clueless about recent advances in reducing heat soak.

So I am asking here if anyone if anyone knows of a reasonably priced heat reflective white top coat and clear to assist with my project.

I don't want a 2 pack as too fussy and I am only able to do shed spraying on still days and want to get this done before the real summer makes it impossible to spray and not dry before hitting the body.

Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Solar reflective top coat + clear
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Im doing a bit of thread mining here, trying to answer some unanswered questions.

So, its probably too late now as summer has hit, but, 2k is your best bet for longgivity in all circumstances. I assume you were leaning towards acrylic, based on not wanting a 2k. I dont know anyone using enamel or epoxy on cars. To be honest, Im not sure why though. If you were thinking acrylic, forget it. Ive done 2 restos in acrylic, and its been nothing but a headache down the road, as it takes forever to finally go off, and I had sandpaper lines come through on my Bronco, 3 months after I painted it. We redone the whole car again, I wasnt happy with the colour anyway.

What about vinyl wrap? Never done it personally, but with the next resto I will.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]