Fordmods Logo

add technology to older cars 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: add technology to older cars
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 148

Joined: 6th Aug 2014

Ride: ford

Location: yorke peninsula
SA, Australia

hi

was just wondering how youd go about adding some of the later technology to older cars, obviousley you cant add side airbags which is fine, just wanted a few little things

1. steering wheel buttons for stereo - is it possible to buy a wireless remote control for the aftermarket stereos that attach to the steering wheel that work with kenwood jvc and pioneer stereos, and ifso where do you get them from. ebay, repco,auto one, sprint?

2. radio reception - how would you improve the fm reception in a older car that has a aftermarket stereo, ef fairmont has a aftermarket jvc touch screen and it cant pick up the adelaide fm stations in the copper triangle, can barely get the local copper coast station, have driven a 2006 hyundai santa fe and the factory santa fe stereo picks up every station even adelaide in wallaroo and the fairmonts newer aftermarket stereo doesnt pick much fm up not like the santa fes factory 12 year old stereo.

what antennas and boosters would have been fitted to the santa fe when it was made to improve the fm reception. would fitting a aftermarket fm booster improve fm reception in the fairmont and when your really close to the transmitter will the booster add too much gain and block the station when in a city.

is it possible to put a window type antenna on the rear window and is it possible to get a splitter or something to connect 2 antennas together (the window antenna and the original one)/ would a tv masthead amp work if it is one that picks up the fm band.

will fitting a fm booster stop am from working.

3. lane depature and forward collision - is it possible to fit lane depature and forward collision to a older car. have heard you can buy aftermarket kits for previous cars.

4 blind spot detection - is it possible to buy and fit blind spot detection, have seen some kits at jbhifi.



with the cruise control can you fit aftermarket cruise control or newer ford cruise control that still has the cable and be able to use original ford ones, and ifso what kits allow that and is using ford still what models still have the cable and allow you to still use the original buttons on steering wheel/

with the ed model can you fit ef cruise control and still be able to use the ed buttons and ifso what parts would you use.

to get ef cruise control to work how would you join the ed cable to ef module.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: add technology to older cars
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 346

Joined: 24th Jun 2014

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Location: Jamestown
SA, Australia

car10001 wrote:
hi

was just wondering how youd go about adding some of the later technology to older cars, obviousley you cant add side airbags which is fine, just wanted a few little things

1. steering wheel buttons for stereo - is it possible to buy a wireless remote control for the aftermarket stereos that attach to the steering wheel that work with kenwood jvc and pioneer stereos, and ifso where do you get them from. ebay, repco,auto one, sprint?


I think i remember seeing a Post or tech doco on the web somewhere on fitting Au falcon radio controls to the steering wheel of a EF/EL. Was a bit involved to do it.
Auto pats store should be able to sell the control box that connected to the buttons and aftermarket stereo


car10001 wrote:
2. radio reception - how would you improve the fm reception in a older car that has a aftermarket stereo, ef fairmont has a aftermarket jvc touch screen and it cant pick up the adelaide fm stations in the copper triangle, can barely get the local copper coast station, have driven a 2006 hyundai santa fe and the factory santa fe stereo picks up every station even adelaide in wallaroo and the fairmonts newer aftermarket stereo doesnt pick much fm up not like the santa fes factory 12 year old stereo.

what antennas and boosters would have been fitted to the santa fe when it was made to improve the fm reception. would fitting a aftermarket fm booster improve fm reception in the fairmont and when your really close to the transmitter will the booster add too much gain and block the station when in a city.

is it possible to put a window type antenna on the rear window and is it possible to get a splitter or something to connect 2 antennas together (the window antenna and the original one)/ would a tv masthead amp work if it is one that picks up the fm band.

will fitting a fm booster stop am from working.


A booster is proberly posable wouldnt want to go for too much gain or you could get cross talk picking up 2 stations at once if there on the same frequency ( the stations and frequency are spaced large distances apart to avoid this E>G> tipple J up out way is on 103.5 down Adelaide triple J is on 105.5, if they were on the same frequency you would pick up both at the same point likely and get a "echo" of sorts (that's why when you call a radio station they ask that you turn your radio off or right down)

car10001 wrote:
3. lane depature and forward collision - is it possible to fit lane depature and forward collision to a older car. have heard you can buy aftermarket kits for previous cars.


I'm not sure on this would be heaps of work to fit it from another car that has it and get it working properly aftermarket kit may be the go if you can get them.

car10001 wrote:
4 blind spot detection - is it possible to buy and fit blind spot detection, have seen some kits at jbhifi.


If you can buy a kit i guess it can be done its probably lots of work fitting and getting it working properly but nothing is impossible

car10001 wrote:
with the cruise control can you fit aftermarket cruise control or newer ford cruise control that still has the cable and be able to use original ford ones, and ifso what kits allow that and is using ford still what models still have the cable and allow you to still use the original buttons on steering wheel/

with the ed model can you fit ef cruise control and still be able to use the ed buttons and ifso what parts would you use.

to get ef cruise control to work how would you join the ed cable to ef module.



The last model falcon that had a cable driven Cruse control was the AU falcon B series on was all electronic controlled through the PCM

Fitment and connection wise you would need to check and study the wiring diagrams from both the ED and the EF find any differances and see if it can be wired in.

the buttons on the steering wheel would also need to be checked to makesure there outputting the right voltage for the button being pressed. (the buttons work on a voltage divider with resistors) so if that is wrong you could be pressing "set" and the cruse could read that as the + speed or - speed.


Anyone else got a opinion here or can correct me if i'm wrong

Rob

 

_________________

Current Ride
BA XR6 Turbo, P3 Paint, BP Trim, Fully Stock Mods to Come!
1996 EF Falcon furura, White.
BA XR6 , P3 Paint, BG Trim, !
1995 EF XR6 The newest member of my ford family!

BLUE BLOOD
Previous Rides
1997 EL Falcon
1980 Ford Escort

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names