help with water pump on xr8 please 

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

millard455 wrote:
yep more questions :D when i remove the harmonic balancer do i gota mark the position its in so when i put i back on it goes on in the same position or will it only go back on the way it came off?? sorry bout all the questions but ive never even seen a balencer out of the car.

The inside of the balancer (where it fits the crankshaft) has a key and the crankshaft has a groove in it for this key to slide into.

That is to say, the balancer only goes on one way.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
millard455 wrote:
yep more questions :D when i remove the harmonic balancer do i gota mark the position its in so when i put i back on it goes on in the same position or will it only go back on the way it came off?? sorry bout all the questions but ive never even seen a balencer out of the car.

The inside of the balancer (where it fits the crankshaft) has a key and the crankshaft has a groove in it for this key to slide into.

That is to say, the balancer only goes on one way.

thats what i like to hear, nice and easy. parts will be here late this week and im gona order a bpt underdrive kit today to go on aswell. now just hope the job goes to plan. thanks again for all the help and info :D

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Post subject: Re: help with water pump on xr8 please
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR8

QLD, Australia

LOL i can not believe how so many of you on this post did not understand one little bit what this problem is, i know its 11 years ago since this was posted but i tell you what what a load of miss-information you have given this Guy, okay, first off there are two gaskets for the water pumps on the XR8 one that joins the water pump to the block and then another that joins the water pump to the secondary piece on the outside of block, it is not the timing cover, HOW THE HELL COULD COOLANT BE COMING FROM THE TIMING COVER timing covers retain oil with an oil seal around the timing chain, so sad so many lack any understanding of what the question is, so why am i here I have just had the same problem coolant leaking from what appears to be a secondary gasket that attaches TO THE TIMING COVER, IT IS NOT THE TIMING COVER LOL HOW THE HELL COULD IT BE, if you go and have a LOOK at the parts for these cars there are two gaskets for the water pump, i hope mate you didnt take the timing cover off like all these total d***head told you to do so, because you would have made a huge mistake

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

mookie01 wrote:
LOL i can not believe how so many of you on this post did not understand one little bit what this problem is, i know its 11 years ago since this was posted but i tell you what what a load of miss-information you have given this Guy, okay, first off there are two gaskets for the water pumps on the XR8 one that joins the water pump to the block and then another that joins the water pump to the secondary piece on the outside of block, it is not the timing cover, HOW THE HELL COULD COOLANT BE COMING FROM THE TIMING COVER timing covers retain oil with an oil seal around the timing chain, so sad so many lack any understanding of what the question is, so why am i here I have just had the same problem coolant leaking from what appears to be a secondary gasket that attaches TO THE TIMING COVER, IT IS NOT THE TIMING COVER LOL HOW THE HELL COULD IT BE, if you go and have a LOOK at the parts for these cars there are two gaskets for the water pump, i hope mate you didnt take the timing cover off like all these total d***head told you to do so, because you would have made a huge mistake

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

mookie01 wrote:

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:20 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:34 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR8 and XF Fairmont

New Zealand

So many aspects from this thread apply to my car, slow small water leak and I suspect that it's both water pump AND possibly the timing case...only because I can see a 'dribble' line in the cover which looks like it's behind the water pump.

The issue with mine is that some turkey has already had a crack at doing the water pump because there is gasket goo and about 3 bolts either missing or snapped off. Knowing bolts like that I would have sprayed with wd40 or crc over a few nights and carefully worked them left and right until they started undoing. Because of that I'm probably going to send my car into the mechanics shop to be done.
Nothing worse than trying to get snapped bolts out.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3