Fordmods Logo

MacKay Inline magnetic oil filter leakage 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: MacKay Inline magnetic oil filter leakage
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Just a heads up.

I just finished rebuilding my power steering lines and pump etc. At the suggestion of a pro transmission guy I installed a MacKay magnetic inline oil filter. About $40 to $60 online

It is a nice enough filter. Decent size, 3/8" or 9.5mm barb fittings and well marked as to flow direction. Has a decent sized ring magnet inside that has full oil flow exposure and then it goes through a replaceable filter element (nice if they told you what it is..) and has a screw thread to open up and inspect whatever.

That screw apart design is what this heads up post is about. Whilst there seems to be a recess for an o ring to create a seal once screwed together, there was no o ring fitted. Could be I was just unlucky and someone assembling this forgot to install it.

I have ordered a 50mm OD x 1.5mm (47mm ID) o ring to sort the leakage issue out I hope. Trusting in the screw together thread seems like Russian roulette to me.

Hope this helps someone else out before they install this on their transmission cooling lines and find out the need to check or fit this o ring beforehand.

Great idea the filter and I am glad they sell them as they are very hard to find elsewhere in Australia. Once I am confident that the power steering is safe using it I will fit another one to the transmission line as well.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]