Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Better late to reply than never!

The bland door is the motorised door that does the hot/cold control... I don't have the motorised blend door because I hate the automatic climate control... Wife's BF turbo has it and it's more a PITA than a help...

I repaired the recirc flap... If that's what you're talking about, then the only way to get it out is to remove the dash... In an early E series it's pretty easy to get the dash out, I can probably get one out by myself in 45 mins... Not sure about ef/el as I've never done one of them...

Yeah there is a mismatch in travel, this is for a reason but, it ensures that the actuator is alwasy trying to close or open the door, so that it keeps the door firmly against it's wall and prevents any air leaking from the undesired direction... The steel unit that me and my old man made is lifetime and has never me an ounce of grief... I also have a plan for the windscreen/feet diverter flap should it break on me again...

Signal for the coil comes from the hall effect, gets filtered in the TFI where it is sent to the EEC for processing... It works out the advance required and delays a signal to the TFI again, where the TFI handles the dwell and then sends a pulse to the coil to fire... I think... It's a pretty overly complicated system in order to gain computer advance control for the fuel injection... Can't take too much credit for the est unit... I did quite literally "photocopy" the Ford issued special tool...

The issue with leaving the TFI is the heat generated by the block... 3 litres of wiper fluid (when full) is going to have a hard time trying to convection cool the alloy dizzy that is in a motor with 9 litres of coolant trying to get it to 92 degrees being forced around by a centrifugal pump... The TFI does make heat, my heatsink got slightly warm to the touch... Not enough to require water cooling on it's own... It's the motor cooking it that is the issue... Hence the class action lawsuit against Ford in america (same TFI system over there that regularly fails) that the people won... This is when the heatsink was invented and used on some american vehicles...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:18 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well... Update time...

Been a hugely busy start to the year... Been a million places for work and staying away from home, had weddings, holidays, and all sorts of other time consuming events to attend to... Getting back into car stuff nowish, and these are the bits and pieces I've made up since the last posts... Bought a cheap a** CBR125 to save money on fuel for around town errands and to/fro work travel... Super fuel efficent... So it's received some treatment... Bit of TLC and a power pipe... It'll make it easier when the red car comes off the road to strip and fit to the silver body... It also came in handy when the wife's BF s**t the turbo on the way home from the South Coast... Rear bearing collapsed and wheels hit the casings... Made a horrible noise when I went to accelerate off... Got towed home (long day)... All fixed now... But she was in the red car for the week while I was on the bike... Thinking because the old owner hacked the metal oil line to make it "easier" to change the block filter, he got steel into the restrictor and started the end of it's life... It did 230,000km...

Intake elbow flange and pipework Mach I... Involved cutting up a an aeroflow 4" 135degree ally elbow and ally pipe to make the following... Once I started sitting bits together I realised the tb end was too tight and tried to shorten the radius up a bit to allow more clearance for the tb blade... I got what looked like a good amount of bits tacked together and took them for proper finish welding...

Once I'd had it welded and polished up I decided I still wasn't happy with the TB end... It looked pretty horrid and that's the part you'll see on the motor so set about fixing it... Used a half donut from aeroflow as the radius is much tighter than a mandrel bend... It's being finish welded now... Enter Mach II (note the comparison photos of old to new)

So that's where that stands... Will get it back and grind the welds down again... Fix a couple of damaged parts on it... Sort out a throttle cable mounting and get it welded on... We'll get there...

Win on the AU2 booster... Grabbed the alloy spacer of one of my spare XR dual diaphragm ED boosters to see how close the AU2 one was to fitting the ED holes... Turns out not much... Two holes on the spacer were slotted and I never knew why, turns out they suit the AU booster... So this bracket will make the perfect template to modify the ED firewall to suit...

Starting to think about engine mounts... These are some Imprezza bushes that matched the measurements of some heavy walled pipe I had lying around, according to the Whiteline site at least)... Turned up and they're 4mm bigger OD than what the website says, rendering my pipe useless... So I went to an engineering shop and they had this bar/pipe offcut, so old mate was kind enough to part off two rings on the lathe and charge me nothing because it was an offcut of useless steel... Winning... Nothing will break these engine mounts when they're done... Will make up some block plates out of some spare sheet I have and use the silver car to drop the au motor in and make up the rest of the mounts for a true good fit...

On top of that there is the useless house renos... A bedroom nearly done... Then the front wall of the house and ensuite next... First child is due mid August... So all in all, no shortage of things to keep doing... Been kid proofing the house a little and generally cleaning up and getting organised... New temporary kitchen is in... Bought a Kaboodle (flat pack) Bunnings kitchen over 2 months as we could afford it and I must say, if you're on a budget, they're a pretty good kitchen system for the money... Do a little every week yourself as you can afford it...

Until the next time!

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Advances this weekend is I am now running an EL 3.45 LSD diff...

Lokka is gone now... So much nicer to drive... Can actually go around a corner now without having to clutch it... And no more noise... I couldn't count how many people have pulled me up and told me the a** end is about to fall out of my car...

Wasn't too bad a task...

The ED lines, where the "T" is on the diff, missed the EL breather by about 3 inches so I welded a bolt to the diff and bolted the T there... Weld three tabs on in the same spots as where the ED has them and folded them over the lines, The passenger side line need to be re-shaped a tad to miss the breather...

Kitted the rear calipers... Gave them some Brembo red too... Looks good... The caliper brackets got a hit with the acid and the alloy looks like brand new... Backing plates are as black as black can be after a good clean... Incredible looking a** end now... If only you could see it...

So if anyone wants a Lokka there will be one for sale sooner or later... They're a great idea... Just not for me I think... Quite happy with an LSD for my use thanks...

3.45 over 3.27 seems to have made a tiny tiny improvement to the torque off the line... And with me guessing what "feels" like 50 km/hr when I look down I'm doing 58 so will check that with the gps and then fit the 22 tooth gear and see if make much improvement...

Other achievements is the completion of the NL cluster loom... So it is finished... Just gotta put some resistors in the door ajar one so it stops flashing at me... Got the LCD to illuminate now.... And just gotta change out the oil pressure sender... Will fit it up again tomorrow and put some LED's in it and see how it goes at night... I'll get some white faced dials made up for it too once I sort out what it is that I want...

Programmer turned up for my J3 chip... Knocked the idle down from 850 to 700 and tripled the dashpot figures... Again much nicer to drive now with those figures adjusted...

Fairly happy driver for now... Will get some picks of the NL cluster loom tomorrow and some of the FG wheel I'm slowly making up too...

Cheers,
Tim

Hm dash pot figures trippled ? Is your idle speed controlle still ok ? As ive heard of them in the us dieing with huge figures not sure what the duty cycle you'd be running but looks like i wont be shy to adjust more help from your thread i seem to be stealing ideas left and right

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

so what happened with the silver body?

Last edited by Mad2 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
TimmyA wrote:

Last bumped by TimmyA on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 am.

so what's been happening?

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well its with great regret that due to changing circumstances in life, car projects now are the furthest thought on my mind. As such to gain something more family friendly and powerful all in one easy fowl swoop I have shelved all my e series plans now. The red ED that's shared it's life on here and taught me loads along the way retired this afternoon. Stripping off all the good parts tomorrow and the body has been sold already for the running gear...

Bit of a sad day... But things change and this is route I opted to follow...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

sad to hear this, but such is life. all the best in your new travels. :)

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:07 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Haven't posted here since the ED left. Miss it some days, but I love the FGX. Covid hasn't really done us much damage living outside the city areas but has raised the price of the FGX far above what I could have afforded to pay today. With the lockdowns and generally trying to stay home where possible, because mask-wearing and signing in is a general pain in the a**, it seldom comes out to actually go anywhere and occasionally does errands around town. I've put about 5-6,000kms on it since picking it up and of those 1000 was a one day trip to and from Melbourne to collect my folks' Territory, and 500kms was bringing it home from Melbourne. I've only changed out some globes to LED's and fitted a towbar to date. The new wheels arrived late last week after having owned it for 2.5years. I also have diff bushes for it and adjustable upper arms because it's chopping out one rear tire.

All my tinkering now happens on my Monster (after the house renos). Unless I need to take kids with me or pick up something large I opt to take the bike wherever I go and thoroughly enjoy playing around on it. It has had a list as long as your arm in changes from original both before I owned and since I've owned it. Notably is the custom colour which is an Audi grey and ties in with the Ford Smoke colour on the FGX. I've nearly had this bike a year now and am really glad I was able to get it, again haven't had the time or the ability to put many km's on it either.

Anyway, still around, usually check back if I get a notification something has been posted or messaged to me. Not much happens in here nowadays with the amount of car stuff on FB and Insta so it's basically become a bible for a time that "was". Hopefully, those still floating around have been otherwise well and not too stressed with the Covid stuff over the last couple of years.

PS, can someone tell me with Photobucket being forever broken, does this photo load for others that is hosted in my Google Drive?

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimmyA on Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
PS, can someone tell me with Photobucket being forever broken, does this photo load for others that is hosted in my Google Drive?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim. loong time no hear. did you finally end up selling the supercharger/motor ?. as to the pic ..... it only comes up as "image" for me altho when i 'quoted' your message i got this - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/15Zu1 ... authuser=0

. but when i opened it in a new link it asked me to sign in to google.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Mad,

Sorry man, better late than never right?

Yep, all that stuff went years ago. Chucked a lot of spare plastic and small parts I was storing in the bin. Sold off all the hard to find and other stuff worth any actual money like my 2x XR fronts and gearboxes and NOS genuine bits and bobs.

Trying a different thing with the photo. Does it host properly now?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Mad,

Sorry man, better late than never right?

Yep, all that stuff went years ago. Chucked a lot of spare plastic and small parts I was storing in the bin. Sold off all the hard to find and other stuff worth any actual money like my 2x XR fronts and gearboxes and NOS genuine bits and bobs.

Trying a different thing with the photo. Does it host properly now?

Cheers,
Tim

if your talking the car/bike pic in the previous post ...... yes. otherwise no.

Sort by  
 Page 78 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78