Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 27 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

So the bloody Auspost changed my delivery from Thursday gone to next on the manifold seal,so I tried a couple of places by phone and ended up at Repco getting a permaseal equivalent but once I got the old seal off it just didn't feel right, it was loose on the sleeve but seemed to have the right angles and may have sealed on n/a engine but would not have lasted long with boost,but I look up and on my wall I have a VRS kit for a EA and in the bottom of said kit is a manifold flange centre gasket which turns out it's the same from EA to BF and you can see the difference between the Permaseal and theACL/Monotorque seals,just need to work out which side needs the longer taper,think the longer taper goes with/facing the exhaust flow

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

johnnyeHCF wrote:
So got the engine and gearbox back in the ute with the stall etc,bad news is the CRS engine mounts don't fit the xg but they are advertised as from XA to XF so could just be that xg is somehow different under the chassis side engine mount plates and my bf fan is still to fat to fit between the harmonic balancer and the radiator, so will have to get a large slimline fan which should be fine.
So have just reused my xg barra mount setup from the last engine and trans mount will work but still needs some improvement.

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a product,I really thought CRS (Castlemain Rod Shop) was better than this as I hadn't heard alot negative about them but I have to say that I will never buy engine mounts off these a**'s ever again,as you know the first mounts I got off them did not even come close to fitting,days spent waisted trying force them in and maneuvering the engine and gearbox over and over doing damage to everything including inlet manifold,potentially 3-4 holes in the radiator and more,then took them weeks to answer me and then nearly a month of waiting for the replacements,which In all honesty are a bloody ruff fit,have 4-5mm between the inlet manifold and the strut tower on the passenger side-bolt holes don't line up correctly (still have one bolt that refuses to go in on the driver's side)-could no longer use OEM transmission mount and the sump sitting on the K frame (which may have put a small crack in the sump where it was hitting/sitting,I can honestly say that I would have been Much better off paying a bit extra for Tuff mounts!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Slowly getting there,the biggest problem has been getting the modified AN10 heater pipes to seal (small pin holes) but have that sorted,am using a 3" exhaust flex joint to help simplify the side exit,also made a bung for a temperature sensor for the transmission,battery box (will be in back)alternater and starter cables,still need to lengthen the wiring to the throttle,and a shot of the slip brace for the Up pipe to exhaust manifold.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So here's how the slip brace works for the up pipe,the engineer I used to machine the exhaust manifold flange said there is no point drilling through the back of the manifold where it lines up with the Up pipe as you could not run a bolt through there and the holes are miss aligned anyway,and from what I can tell there is no explanation from the maker of Up pipe on how to use this part,whether you can make a bracket to brace it elsewhere,but this is what I came up with,once it's all on with gasket and fully tightened the two halves of the slip brace can be welded together giving it another point to brace.

The Up pipe then slips off sideways once unbolted.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I have to drill out my oil restrictor as it's a journal bearing turbo, can anyone tell me how big? I've heard 2mm or can I go as big as the AN4 hole in the top of the restrictor?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,had a long crap day-had to have my rottweiler/best friend put down this afternoon,he was nearly 9yo and was rescued at about 18 months old with 12 hours left from being shot-I couldn't have asked for a more loyal and incredible gaurd dog!
Anyway to take my mind off this and to stop myself from crying I got the rest of the engine sealed up to get some damn oil in it and wanted to ask if anyone can tell me what the difference is between 10W-40 engine oil to 10W-40 for diesel engines? Will be running 15W-40 but have some old oil to use for initial start up and to flush engine through.

Have drilled the oil restrictor to 2.5mm as the oil pressure won't be too high.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Is it just the adatives or cleaning agents?

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Anywho have gone to a 6PK1550 from the 1555 which definitely feels better with the tensioner and only needs a slight filing for full clearance on the tensioner.
All hot side bolts,engine mounts to K frame are grade 10.9 bolts,dipstick modified and all AN lines to engine oil cooler from sandwich plate and turbo oil feed and AN10 drain all tightened waiting for oil before turning engine to do the torque converter bolts.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,thought I'd give you a bit of an update on one of the longest builds in the history of fordmods ye ol XG :roll:
So I recieved the slimline thermo fan and also got some standard XR6T spark plugs P/N:AGSP22Z11 which I am using with the BA/BF Drifter Coils.
Have all the engine wiring connected after extending the TPS and TB motor wires,also bought a 2 bar MAP sensor but forgot about the plug so I ordered another 2 bar sensor and plug from T.I PERFORMANCE, awsome to deal with-I ordered it late Friday afternoon Express after 3pm and they had it in the post before 5pm and I received it Monday afternoon.
So plugs coils injectors all the engine sensors etc are connected bar the cylinder head temperature sensor in the back of the head and the OE 02 sensor which I am getting on to now.Also did the extension housing oil seal and got the driveshaft in but will have to do something with this as its a bit on the tight or long side.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Can anyone tell me how this is fitted?
It's a trans cable bush repair thing-went for the stainless metal one as it should not ever need replacement again but came with no instructions or guide of any kind.
I assume that I need to grind out the rivet part on back and press the pin out of the arm but wanted to check if anyone else has done this before I do so.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So got the trans shifter bush sorted and started fitting the chassis harness and realized that there was a sub harness missing and that even if I had it it would be to long in most areas and was made to join up to a fully wired vehicle besides the engine.
So I've been redoing the whole harness to suit the XG as a bare bones race car.

P.s All these brackets are made from sheet metal from a microwave oven we were throwing out.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Bit of a update,as you might have guessed I lost most of my motivation after the problems with the engine mounts and have been slowly clawing my way back at it,but have finally got alot of what's needed done to at least test fire the engine.
All the secondary harness has been redone as it was all to long and meant for a complete car not a bare bones race car.
Am just waiting on the WG adapter and bov to welded-but the biggest problem atm is the driveshaft have 6 different driveshafts of various sizes but no match yet.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Got my WG adapter and BOV back from being welded and they turned out really well,the BOV seals really good but the WG adapter needs to be resurfaced to get flat-even though they are quite thick they (the flanges) still distorted with the heat.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Sort by  
 Page 27 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next