BTR shenanigans 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: BTR shenanigans
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 04 BA

QLD, Australia

Gday all,

Come here looking to be taught a few things and hopefully come out the other side with more knowledge.

I have a BA skid car with the BTR in it. Just recently it has decided to do some funky things (all of this appears to only happen in D, sports shift has shown no issue)

Firstly, in drive, it will act like it is neutral until the revs hit approx 1500rpm. Will rev up freely with no drive to approx that 1500 rpm then suddenly take off as if i had only just started to accelerate. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Secondly, in drive, it will hold first gear change at redline for an extended period of time before deciding to change to second. This does seem to happen anytime it is taken to max rpm in drive, sports mode has no issues banging limiter in 1st then changing straight to second when i tell it too.

Now both these only seem to happen in drive, i've yet to notice in sports shift mode.

Some history on the car, i bought it with no idea what condition the box was in. Decided to dump the fluid, change filter and wound the s5 solenoid in about 3/4 of turn (its a burnout car so i wanted the changes as quick and sharp as possible). However, i wound it too far and it was trying to take off in what felt like second, so down comes the pan and wound s5 out so it was now only half a turn in from its factory position. shifts are crisp (could be firmer/quicker) but eh cheap skid car...... An external oil cooler was added and the whole lot filled up, ran through the gears for a while, then topped up again.

So.... what are peoples thoughts?
Can low oil levels cause these issues?
Should i have had the motor running, changing through the gears while doing the final top up?
Did i C**k it up by going to far on s5 or what happens if you wind it in too far?

Post subject: Re: BTR shenanigans
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

ballsy wrote:
Gday all,

Come here looking to be taught a few things and hopefully come out the other side with more knowledge.

I have a BA skid car with the BTR in it. Just recently it has decided to do some funky things (all of this appears to only happen in D, sports shift has shown no issue)

Firstly, in drive, it will act like it is neutral until the revs hit approx 1500rpm. Will rev up freely with no drive to approx that 1500 rpm then suddenly take off as if i had only just started to accelerate. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Secondly, in drive, it will hold first gear change at redline for an extended period of time before deciding to change to second. This does seem to happen anytime it is taken to max rpm in drive, sports mode has no issues banging limiter in 1st then changing straight to second when i tell it too.

Now both these only seem to happen in drive, i've yet to notice in sports shift mode.

Some history on the car, i bought it with no idea what condition the box was in. Decided to dump the fluid, change filter and wound the s5 solenoid in about 3/4 of turn (its a burnout car so i wanted the changes as quick and sharp as possible). However, i wound it too far and it was trying to take off in what felt like second, so down comes the pan and wound s5 out so it was now only half a turn in from its factory position. shifts are crisp (could be firmer/quicker) but eh cheap skid car...... An external oil cooler was added and the whole lot filled up, ran through the gears for a while, then topped up again.

So.... what are peoples thoughts?
Can low oil levels cause these issues?
Should i have had the motor running, changing through the gears while doing the final top up?
Did i C**k it up by going to far on s5 or what happens if you wind it in too far?

Low oil levels could definitely contribute as I've had similar issues after changing oil which needed a good top up after being run for a while,maybe check oil level and try again,there may be damage from low oil and full send in drive or too high pressure through said s5 solenoid:twisted:

P.s engine/trans should be warm when you check oil levels.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Post subject: Re: BTR shenanigans
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 04 BA

QLD, Australia

I'll check levels and pump some more in. I'd have thought (my understanding) if the level was low then gear changes in manual and drive would be effected, not just drive

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]