Fordmods Logo

Nl crank no start after washing engine 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Nl crank no start after washing engine
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF Falcon E-Gas Station Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi all my first post on this forum but I have used this resource many times.
I have 97 Fairlane that I have spent to much time and money on. Just on the verge of getting it blue slipped so washed engine a little to vigorously and the beast refused to start. I removed dizzy cap and it was melted at HT or centre contact. I replaced cap and cleaned rotor and then it started last night (after I . This morning I was going to drive to the mechanics and this morn crank no start again. The only codes on the Ford obd1 are 116, 114 air/coolant temperature sensors out of range.
I guess there is still water where I shouldn't be in some connector, anyone have any ideas.

Post subject: Re: Nl crank no start after washing engine
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

took off dizzy to replace ignition module and found that it had got moisture inside (probably from leaking thermostat housing now repaired) the pickup hall effect sensor and was badly corroded and rusted. I'm now replacing the whole distributor with an new RAE assembly. According to advice this can go in at any convenient orientation as long as number one is at TDC compression and this should occur when timing marks align.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Nocarleftbehind wrote:
took off dizzy to replace ignition module and found that it had got moisture inside (probably from leaking thermostat housing now repaired) the pickup hall effect sensor and was badly corroded and rusted. I'm now replacing the whole distributor with an new RAE assembly. According to advice this can go in at any convenient orientation as long as number one is at TDC compression and this should occur when timing marks align.

If it's anything like the EA/EB/ED setup then I think you need to swap the cog from the bottom of the dizzy shaft otherwise you'll mess up the aux shaft...

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks 5h4dy,

That is the often repeated advice. I did consider doing that and did inspect old gear for wear but it seemed to be very lightly worn (may not have done many miles and last time it was replaced the mechanic probably skipped that step) I will probably change it just to be sure.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Nocarleftbehind wrote:
thanks 5h4dy,

That is the often repeated advice. I did consider doing that and did inspect old gear for wear but it seemed to be very lightly worn (may not have done many miles and last time it was replaced the mechanic probably skipped that step) I will probably change it just to be sure.

Not always about having wear already, but also some of the replacements are made of different materials and can cause damage or damage themselves.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]