Fordmods Logo

how high octane can i safely run? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: how high octane can i safely run?
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

i have a grudge match between me and a mate who has LS swapped his Holden one tonner and we have been s**t talking each other through out the build and now its time to nut up or shut up, either way I'm 99% certain My trusty ol AU Falcon is gonna get an all expense paid visit to "Gapplebees" but maby just MABY if i delete the spare tyre, run 50psi in the front hoops and run a low fuel load, say 10 liters of 98 with 2 bottles of octane booster mixed in might allow me to get the launch on him (all on private roads of course!) and i can claim back some honor against an LS powered go kart!

yes and i know to get the most out of high octane fuel i need to tune the computer but this isnt a dedicated racer its simply for one or two runs for the brag, and if i do somehow miraculously finish ahead i can keep on saying "you shoulda barra swapped it bro" lol

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Post subject: Re: how high octane can i safely run?
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Unless you are running high compression or boost, you probably won't gain any performance by adding octane booster to 98 octane. For octane booster to help, you have to already be knock limited. If the knock sensor picks up knock, it pulls timing out which reduces power.

Any factory engine running 98 octane will not be knock limited unless it is carboned up something chronic from driving around all day at 1600 rpm like a granny. But, if you like to hit wide open throttle and decent revs on a regular basis, you will not have enough carbon to cause knock.

If you want to throw some octane booster in just for good measure, there is no harm in it. Be aware that many boosters make negligible difference to octane, so are just a waste of money. Do your own research. Also, some of the active ingredients (eg, Lucas) can turn your spark plugs orange, but do no harm.

The ones I have used are designed for dilutions of 1 or 2 bottles per 50-70L tank. Any more than that will not increase octane number any further. Again, just a waste. So, put one bottle in 1/3 to 1/2 a tank of fuel, and you are good to go. Put a few litres of fuel into the tank after adding the booster so it mixes it up.

Honestly, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner is likely to do at least as much good by getting more power from your fuel through better atomisation. Also, 98 octane has more detergents than lower octane fuels, so helps performance anyway. But you need to run at least half a tank of 98 through for it have any cleaning effect.

Practice your launch technique to give yourself the best chance - on private roads, of course. Have fun.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: how high octane can i safely run?
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

cheers for the reply mate, let you know how it goes lol

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]