My first build - 98 AU XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: My first build - 98 AU XR8
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Triton....angling toward an AU

WA, Australia

Hey there champions

So I've had this project in my mind since about 2001, and now I've finally stepped up to make it happen. More to the point the value of the AU V8s have dropped into a sweet spot at the moment, which I dont think will last very long.

When the AU first dropped, I couldn't believe it. As a Ford Fan (my last name being Ford didn't really afford too many options in life!) I was devastated. What a shocker. But by the the time the AU3 had come around, Tickford/Ford had finally got it about right. And there was a particular car that drove down the main drag of our town one night and that was it - I was going to get one like that one day...

I'm being a bit elusive here, as my build is going to be a bit of an adventure I think. And I'm hoping the FORDMODS community can help me with some decisions along the way...

So here's the base car in the raw:

Its a 98 Au1 xr8 in Oxford green - 270k on the clock.
The engine looks pretty stock, but it does have extractors....was this stock? Exhaust is twin 2.5 through to the tips. Mechanically it runs smooth and strong, but needs some work on the steering rack by the feel of things. The steering is tight, but makes a bit of a groan.

Panels are straight, but there is a couple of patches of rust on and under the hood and around the top of the windscreen. Paint is delaminating on all top surfaces. Otherwise its pretty much ding and scratch free! Someone has had a go at painting the front bar....missed the colour match by THIS MUCH....

Interior is...untidy. Someone has butchered the head unit slot and pop riveted a blank in place. Was surprised to find 6x9 fusions and a 10" pioneer sub in the boot! Leather steering wheel is in great condition. Door trims....well honestly i've not seen worse. shabby is just the start. The seat foam is in ok condition, but cloth is split and fraying (underneath some nasty seat covers i'll add)

So...stage 1 plan:

* Patch up the rust and sand back the paint back to solid substrate
* Do a closed-door paintjob in Congo green (TS50 colour)
* I've found a donor Fairmont to replace door cards, leather seats
* Potentially do a whole dash conversion to fairmont spec...but thats one of the bits i'll need the communities help with! I've seen some great posts which i hope will help me get it over the line
* Some nice 18's.
* Get it back to solid mechanical state - steering, bushes, bearings etc.

Stage 2...Lets talk about that a bit later down the track.

Well, look forward to further adventures. Tommorrow i'm doing a 3hr round trip to collect the parts ghia.

I hope to check in weekly, so stay tuned!

Cheers
Shannon, Shannon FORD.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]