Fordmods Logo

Please HELP! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Please HELP!
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Falcon Ute

TAS, Australia

I’m wondering why both my wheels aren’t spinning when the car is in gear and under acceleration while on jack stands. I can move them both by hand when I’m neutral and the handbrake is off but they won’t spin at the same time when in gear. I’ve serviced both brake calipers and they are working fine. The car is a 1994 XG Falcon Ute. Could it be the diff or axles or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Please HELP!
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

hub7373 wrote:
I’m wondering why both my wheels aren’t spinning when the car is in gear and under acceleration while on jack stands. I can move them both by hand when I’m neutral and the handbrake is off but they won’t spin at the same time when in gear. I’ve serviced both brake calipers and they are working fine. The car is a 1994 XG Falcon Ute. Could it be the diff or axles or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do you mean they don't spin OR they spin differently OR?.

if the car is NOT fitted with an LSD .... with the car still on stands, get someone to stand at the back with you in the drivers seat. start the car & with you lightly applying the foot brake [not sure how hard you will need to apply brakes] and accelerating - don't need to floor it. just need enuf rear brake to slow the wheel/s. with a 'standard' diff on stands you will most likely only get one wheel turning as there is nothing to spread/make both wheels turn as like a LSD diff.

in park/gear [without the motor running] does the other wheel turn in the opposite direction?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Only one spinning, I’ll try your suggestion in the morning but being just a standard 94 Ute it wouldn’t have a lsd would it?

So if I’m understanding you correctly if it is a standard diff what it is doing is correct? If it is I now feel really stupid :oops: :oops:

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

hub7373 wrote:
Only one spinning, I’ll try your suggestion in the morning but being just a standard 94 Ute it wouldn’t have a lsd would it?

So if I’m understanding you correctly if it is a standard diff what it is doing is correct? If it is I now feel really stupid :oops: :oops:

i think that's how it will be. everytime i've done mine it's been me in the drivers seat so i am 'guessing'. but i think that's how it will be due to no resistance at the wheels. if i am correct ... don't worry about it .... if i'm wrong :roll:. as to diff? .. possibly not but ya never know :lol:

"in park/gear [without the motor running] does the other wheel turn in the opposite direction?"

did you try this?. if you did and the wheel turn as mentioned ... all is good then.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Hi Mate,

Both wheels turn in both directions when I do it in park with the handbrake off and the motor isn’t running, I can move each side by hand?

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

hub7373 wrote:
Hi Mate,

Both wheels turn in both directions when I do it in park with the handbrake off and the motor isn’t running, I can move each side by hand?

yep .. you should be able to turn a non-lsd in one direction by hand, with the other wheel turning in the opposite direction.

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: hatchback

NSW, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
hub7373 wrote:

do you mean they don't spin OR they spin differently OR?.

if the car is NOT fitted with an LSD .... with the car still on stands, get someone to stand at the back with you in the drivers seat. start the car & with you lightly applying the foot brake [not sure how hard you will need to apply brakes] and accelerating - don't need to floor it. just need enuf rear brake to slow the wheel/s. with a 'standard' diff on stands you will most likely only get one wheel turning as there is nothing to spread/make both wheels turn as like a LSD diff.

in park/gear [without the motor running] does the other wheel turn in the opposite direction?

i agree, i had the same problem two weeks ago and i had to bring my car to the garage. it cost me money where i could have just done it myself only if i have discovered this post much earlier. lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]