Fordmods Logo

New XRT Brake Discs & Pads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: New XRT Brake Discs & Pads
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL Falcon V8 Ex Pursuit Car

WA, Australia

Hi guys, just wondering what is the best replacement discs for the front of my 2012 FG Falcon XR6 Turbo LE?

I had it in to get 2 new Bridgestone RE003's fitted as the rears were down to the wear bars (1 to the belt :shock:) and they swapped the fronts which are only about 10k old onto the rear and they mentioned the front discs looked a bit worn and had heat spots on the discs and the pads were 80% gone as well :roll:

I bought it with ~18k on her and she's now done ~160k and I've noticed a slight vibration at highway speeds from the front end and shudder under hard braking for a few thousand km's now and so figured they were probably due to get skimmed anyway?

Anyway given the shudder and the heat spots I figure I might was well replace the discs entirely rather than stuff about skimming them :wink:

I'm assuming there are better options than OEM discs, we replaced the rear discs on my wife's 07 Terra Ghia Turbo with RDA brand ones and also used RDA's on my son's 06 Mazda SP23 and they seemed OK :wink:

So are there any better options out there short of big $$ for Brembo's? I have read some threads where they are used but obviously then you also need bigger rims as the std 19's apparently wont fit them so even more $$'s :shock:

From a quick Google there are RDA/DBA/Bendix and others and there are 322mm & 355mm discs! Will they both fit as I haven't checked what size mine are yet, would the bigger/thicker discs fit and be better?

Also what type of pads does everyone recommend as I know from my motorcycle that some pads are much harder and wear the discs a bit more but offer much better stopping power and last longer 8-)

Also any thoughts on drilled/slotted rotors vs std?

First On Race Day

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]