Fordmods Logo

key ignition + smartlock 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: key ignition + smartlock
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

hi all ... ok at the start. need to replace ignition barrel on my car (EL gli) so out i go to the spare car and rip one out ,i now this one works ( starts the car). Down to my car, swap barrels over and wait for the smart-lock to re-learn . Tried 4 times but it doesn't , so plug the original ignition back in and turn it on . At this point i've noticed the the smart-lock light go's out,turn the key and it starts. Now i unplug the original and re-plug the spare one wait again , still nothing the smart-lock light flashes quickly. Can anyone help......and yes i've waited 1/2 hour or so

Post subject: Re: key ignition + smartlock
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi,

I think EF and EL you had to wait an hour with the key on for it to learn?

EA-ED were half hour I think...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

mmm I'll give it a try tomorrow ,thanks for the info

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

only thinking at this stage... You'll know it's complete because the smartlock jewel goes from flashing to being on all the time...

There really shouldn't be anything more to it than that... :?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

hi all ... ok put the spare barrel back in tonight and waited one hour ...and it works :D . thanks again for the info

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

na worries man!

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF manual Monty

ACT, Australia

Sorry to hi jack thread but I have had similar issues in an ef fairmont.

I have tried programming two different barrels to the car as the previous owner lost keys. I can get it to start but it won't actually program new ignition and key.

I have left it for the hour (to reprogram) but it only disables smart lock. as soon as I try starting it again after 2 mins with leaving key out of the ignition it will not start and I have to wait another half hour for smart lock to disable before I can start it again.

The car is fitted with an alarm (had to cut cables for sound etc as it was going off as soon as battery connected and i disnt have the security key for it to turn it off) the alarm module (above pedals) seems to tick indicating its going off, will this be stopping the key and barrel from programming?

Any help would be great

Cheers

R.I.P My red beast :(

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the key itself don't need to be re programed in e series, they don't have transponders in them...
the smartlock is in the ignition switch itself.. you will only have an issue if you replace the whole ignition complete with switch....

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF manual Monty

ACT, Australia

Okay. Well originally I replaced just the lock part of the barrel (depress pin on side of barrel and pull lock out). This did not seem to work. After waiting the hour for smart lock to reprogram (key in ignition with accessories on and all doors closed). This just disabled smart lock and I was able to start the car. I was unable to start it again after leaving it 5 mins.

This is why I tried replacing the whole unit, barrel, key, the lot. I pulled the whole barrel assembly out, disconnecting it from the two plugs on the bottom of the steering colum. I swapped the whole lot over and just re plugged the two plugs as they were the same.

Are you saying I should do what I originally did and just replace the lock part of the barrel and try and reset smart lock and see if it works this time?

The bloke I bought the car off got a blank key from ford cut for his locks etc. this key just made cars alarm sound and smart lock to disable. I had to cut wire on alarm to stop sound (did not have security key required to turn off properly). I tried re programming smart lock with this key and the cars original barrel with no luck??

Thanks heaps for your input. I normally can sort these things out but this time I'm stuck and can't find the info I need.

R.I.P My red beast :(

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Falcon BA XT MkII

NSW, Australia

I had a similar problem in my BA Xt. Got around it pretty simply by adding a start button and rewiring the ignition barrel to become like a breaker switch. So you still need to put the key in and turn to accessory but to actually start the car just press the start button. Personally I like having the start button anyway it looks pretty cool and does the same job. I would have just replaced the barrel if I could have however I found out that ford doesn't sell the barrel separately so you have to buy the whole steering column which I was quoted $1000 for. Gimme a shout if anyone wants the rewiring diagram.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

the old key has a transducer in it just take it out and put it in the new key nothing else needs to be done.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

will5656w wrote:
the old key has a transducer in it just take it out and put it in the new key nothing else needs to be done.

good gold mining :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]