Fordmods Logo

serpentine belt conversion to xg van. (info added) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: serpentine belt conversion to xg van. (info added)
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

hi guys, hopin for a little help with belt conversion to my xg van.

I have all the gear nessesary to change over to serpentine off an el donor. Now the problem is that i have done a search and I have been spooked by the problems been had with the aircon and log manifolds.

While I have the el manifold in hand, I dont intend on using it so. what I am hoping for is a part number or size of a belt that somebody may be using where aircon. not fitted or hooked up. this will be the quikfix and will save me going through every belt available at the local auto.

I believe that I can over come this problem with an xh tensioner, does somebody know whether this simply replaces the el tensioner or is this additional to.. and ahh have ya got one:)

thanx in advance.
mick

Last edited by mickoxhxr8 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB 5.0

NSW, Australia

When I did it I got the tensioner of an XH and the belt from repco, I am pretty sure it is the same belt as EL though.

EB 5.0lt 2.5" Exhaust Kings Super Lows blah blah

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

A while back I changed the tensioner pulleys on both my cars - I mixed up the drivebelts and put them on the wrong cars - The EL's belt was then a bit loose, and the XH's was way too tight (very hard to put on). So the belts are different - XH one is longer.
The XH tensioner looks like the EF/EL one, but has the upper pulley arm casted so that the pulley sits higher.
If you can't get a 2nd hand XH one (new is around $200+ IIRC), it may be cheaper to go the EF/EL setup, along with BBM, etc. I think you'll find getting the electric fans to be a big improvement on the slip clutch job also.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

thanx for input fellas. i put it all together today and only need to gain the slightest clearance which will be had with a larger top pulley wheel as you mention with the xh tensioner. maybe i can get away with a bit of mod here or there, dunno look at it tommorow. the only thing I will need to sort out is the bottom radiator hose. xg radiator outlet is larger diameter that the el water pump outlet.
thanx mick.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB 5.0

NSW, Australia

BBM will not fit under the bonnet of an XG

EB 5.0lt 2.5" Exhaust Kings Super Lows blah blah

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

am i right to assume that bbm is the el style manifold??
thanx

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks xgdude would have never of thought of clearence issuse!! :roll:
Makes me feel much better about being a lazy a** and not doing a BBM conversion, lucky i did'nt try. :oops:

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

job done and I thought I might throw a few things on here for anybody who may be thinking of doing this conversion.

Using all of the el parts inc. harmonic balancer, pwr steer, alternator, water pump, tensioner and aircond. and the brackets as theyre fitted to the el engine. All will bolt up okay. With the airconditioner use the existing bracket mounted to the block in addition to the 1" spacers used on the el. this will eliminate the need for the xh tensioner. consequently the charcoal cannister will need to be relocated and the airconditioner lines will be firm against airbox but nothing extreme. I also had to cut the rubber hose and use a short 3" pipe out of the t/b, I have gas it needed to be shortened. again nothing to drastic and used nothin more than what I had in the shed or existing on the vehicle. I would say you would come close to using the hose as normal without gas.

Plenty of clearance where required.

Alternatively, buy the xh tensioner. I had to make do with what I had.

You will need to purchase only 1 x bolt 1 - 1.5 " longer than the longest bolts fitted to the el airconditioner for correct fitment.

You will need a belt p/n 6pk2490. I attempted to find a xh 6cyl belt for size but couldnt find a listing. I had to try a number of belts and had to go to a number of auto shops on a public holiday, not good. maybe someone could let me know whether its the same.

Also el fans dont fit xg radiators.

Hope this helps
Mick.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

The EL fans do fitt but you have to cut bits off as have them on XR6chicks XGXR and beleive it or not just did this this weekend but the guy fitting the reco engine is having the fun. Hopefuly it will be running tomorrow and run in for the dyno day.

In Henry I Trust

Post subject: Re: serpentine belt conversion to xg van. (info added)
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Falcon 1995

TAS, Australia

Old old old topic BUT did this to my XH - wanted to use EL Falcon serpentine stuff on a log manifold XH. It does seem to all fit like mickoxhxr8 says - use the aircon spacers with the bracket etc and no need to cut or alter the hose from the throttle body to the airbox. Note though that I don't think this would fit if you have aircon on your XH and wanted to keep that - I don't have aircon so where the chunky aircon compressor would be, there is just a bracket with an idler pulley on it - spacing the bracket away from the block with the EL spacers is necessary otherwise the belt rubs on the tensioner body....

On the belts: XH belt is 6pk2400 and doesn't fit round the EL stuff and obviously 6pk2355 (which is the standard EL belt ain't going to work either). Couldn't get 6pk2490, tried 6pk2500 and it is too slack, have 6pk2460 on order which should be good I hope. I am a bit confused as to why when you move the EL stuff to the XH, you can't use 6pk2355 as shown in the gates book and unfortunately my donor engine didn't have a belt on it so can't see what it was using but I can't see how a 6pk2355 would ever have been long enough.....

Post subject: Re: serpentine belt conversion to xg van. (info added)
Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

95xg wrote:
Old old old topic BUT did this to my XH - wanted to use EL Falcon serpentine stuff on a log manifold XH. It does seem to all fit like mickoxhxr8 says - use the aircon spacers with the bracket etc and no need to cut or alter the hose from the throttle body to the airbox. Note though that I don't think this would fit if you have aircon on your XH and wanted to keep that - I don't have aircon so where the chunky aircon compressor would be, there is just a bracket with an idler pulley on it - spacing the bracket away from the block with the EL spacers is necessary otherwise the belt rubs on the tensioner body....

On the belts: XH belt is 6pk2400 and doesn't fit round the EL stuff and obviously 6pk2355 (which is the standard EL belt ain't going to work either). Couldn't get 6pk2490, tried 6pk2500 and it is too slack, have 6pk2460 on order which should be good I hope. I am a bit confused as to why when you move the EL stuff to the XH, you can't use 6pk2355 as shown in the gates book and unfortunately my donor engine didn't have a belt on it so can't see what it was using but I can't see how a 6pk2355 would ever have been long enough.....

so how did you go with this mod?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]