Fordmods Logo

What I've learned about BA/BF ICC units. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: What I've learned about BA/BF ICC units.
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I've been taking a crash course on ICC's and I thought I'd share what tidbits I've learned.

1. The screen res is actually really low. 400x234 to be exact.. The ICC itself accepts 710x480, but it downscales it for display to the LCD.

2. The 5.8 inch LCD in the BA is made by or for Sharp. (it's embossed on the back)

3. If you had an account at Alibaba.com you could buy one here:
http://au.alibaba.com/product/108663127 ... nal-5.html (I'm holding the one I just pulled out of my BA ICC and it's identical except an older revision.. model number is the same.) I am trying to find someone with an account with them to buy one for me. (anyone here bought from them before?)

4. Turns out leaving the screen face down overnight did absolutely nothing to to it so that is debunked now I think. You might jam the stacker by flipping it when partially full of disks, but the screens themselves are not affected by being flipped. did it with two several times and both still work)

5. The BF ICC looks externally the same, but there are very very few parts shared between BA/BF, and the internal LCD assembly looks completely different and a better design. The control board, stacker mech and just about everything else is likewise different. The BF unit had no NAV plug.

We had two 5.8 inch BF stacker/dual zones here, and both of them have a 5.8 inch black and white old style LCD display, so they looked like premium ICC's, but they are not. (And because the screens are not proper LCD colour, they don't have nav plugs.) So we took those ones back and swapped them.. They may be better internal designs, but without the color screens my carpoota dreams can't be realised.

6. The board that gets coded/recoded to your BEM is the big square one that sits directly over the CD player/Changer. If you don't want to have to recode, that board has to follow you. We have 4 different versions of this board and none of them are cross compatible, so it might pay to make sure that the replacement is the same if you want to reuse the board.

7. I had a changer, it was stuffed.. took the changer out of my premium BA ICC and swapped it for the single disk player in the standard (small BW display) ICC. The CD player works perfectly so presumably the firmware on the board can tell if it's a single disk or a stacker. If that goes the other way, then it means the stacker could be installed in a standard ICC just as easily.

8. Not all of the premium ICC's have the DVD/Nav plug. One of mine does, the other doesn't. I don't know how they added NAV to the ones that don't. (any screen that isn't a proper LCD color wont' have the NAV plug, so just cos it looks like a color ICC, it may not be, so check for the NAV plug on the bottom to be sure)

9. Had I known the control board (the big square one above the stacker/cd player) was the same between my standard ICC (BA, Single zone AC, single disk player, BW small screen) and the premium one (BA, Single zone AC, 6 disk stacker, colour screen), I could have swapped them over immediately and avoided paying Ford at all to recode the ICC.

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What I've learned about BA/BF ICC units.
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Hi all,

I've been taking a crash course on ICC's and I thought I'd share what tidbits I've learned.

3. If you had an account at Alibaba.com you could buy one here:
http://au.alibaba.com/product/108663127 ... nal-5.html (I'm holding the one I just pulled out of my BA ICC and it's identical except an older revision.. model number is the same.) I am trying to find someone with an account with them to buy one for me. (anyone here bought from them before?)

You don't buy from Alibaba.com. They are a service for suppliers worldwide. Just contact the supplier direct click on the "Contact Supplier" button. It is free to join Alibaba as a buyer, just costs to advertise. Took 30 seconds to send a message direct, ask for a price and delivery cost to Sydney and join. 1st year membership is free.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Reply from the supplier of the item you listed, and they take PayPal. Too simple.

"Dear SWC,
Thanks for your inquiry.
It's US$115 /pcs, shipping to Sydney via DHL is US$20. So total payment is US$135.
Our product is of superior quality and ready to be shipped out after your confirmed payment.
Payment can be made via Paypal or website.
Our Paypal account : vivvy520@126.com name: wenbi Lin
Website Link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LQ6BW51N ... 89005.html
Any question, welcome to ask us.

Best regards.
Wayne Lin"

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Very helpful stuff mate. I'm looking to try & wire a rev camera & iphone screen kit in to mine soon. Cheers

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

SWC wrote:
Reply from the supplier of the item you listed, and they take PayPal. Too simple.

"Dear SWC,
Thanks for your inquiry.
It's US$115 /pcs, shipping to Sydney via DHL is US$20. So total payment is US$135.
Our product is of superior quality and ready to be shipped out after your confirmed payment.
Payment can be made via Paypal or website.
Our Paypal account : vivvy520@126.com name: wenbi Lin
Website Link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LQ6BW51N ... 89005.html
Any question, welcome to ask us.

Best regards.
Wayne Lin"

Thats awesome... If there are lots of people with scratched or dodgy screens, we might be able to do a 5 buy, we have two accounted for already.

If I go though the university where I work we may get better pricing, going to check.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi all,

some more findings.

Hi series dual zone ICC with low series BEM mostly works.
The stereo works fine, you can choose demister, turn the air con on and off and the trip, traction, lights and door buttons work too.

What doesn't work, you don't seem to be able to use either temp settings, or the fan control. so basically you can't turn the air con up to full and you can't turn the heater on at all.

shortly I am converting my car to dual zone so it won't be an issue as I have everything from the dash of the same fairmont so I'll just need to get my BEM /ECU coded together later.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

i had the exact same issue, and after a few round robins we got it resolved, so i'll try keep it simple without going through all the steps back n forth.

07 BF falcon, changed the standard icc with a premium colour from a 2004, and had no heater/air con/fan controls, and couldn't program them.

We didnt use a ford dealer, i have a mechanic friend with a workshop scan tool device.

Swapped the bem from the standard bf icc (and the key lock receiver) to the premium.
After this the car starts and has most controls working apart from the climate control.

Where we appeared to get stuck was trying to communicate with it under a BF profile, rather than a BA profile within the scan tool, we got it working using BA profile.

And even then it went awry after testing other functions, placing us back with the problem we had before.

We disconnected the battery for several minutes, expecting to start again but it came alive with all the settings we set before working properly.

Between battery disconnects and swapping bem's back n forth, it appears the scan profile was the trick all along....

I'm confusing myself trying to explain it... but i now have the premium icc working a treat.
The whole dual zone is another story im not sure i even care about.

hope this helps

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF WAGON

VIC, Australia

Hey just wondering if anybody knows if you can use a touchscreen lcd (linked below) on a ford dual zone territory icc (i know most of our icc's are the same) as i had a good idea of getting a touchscreen lcd and then possible having a carplay dongle to then have carplay on the stock 5.8inch screen instead of needing those big flip off kayhan or aerpro ones as i kinda like the original headunit and want to add carplay was wondering if anyone would be curious to help me out with potetionally doing one or if it can be done as im just not too sure how to wire up the second cable or if its even a good idea?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3277576 ... 8798%21rec

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

masonw049 wrote:
Hey just wondering if anybody knows if you can use a touchscreen lcd (linked below) on a ford dual zone territory icc (i know most of our icc's are the same) as i had a good idea of getting a touchscreen lcd and then possible having a carplay dongle to then have carplay on the stock 5.8inch screen instead of needing those big flip off kayhan or aerpro ones as i kinda like the original headunit and want to add carplay was wondering if anyone would be curious to help me out with potetionally doing one or if it can be done as im just not too sure how to wire up the second cable or if its even a good idea?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3277576 ... 8798%21rec

think you have high hopes ..... but one can :roll: i have read on a forum 'somewhere' that a person had fitted a touch screen inlay over the ford screen [but spaced slightly away] to do what your thinking of. using the touch screen you need to be able to see what's on the normal ICC screen plus what's on the touch screen [so you need more than just the screen - extra electronics]... and if i could remember where n when i read it .. i would put up a link for you. the BA/BF ICC has limited use use for what you want to do re the dongle.

where the frack did i see that topic???.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey that would be awesome because i have seen a few companies being able to do it but i would like to somewhat give it a crack myself if its simple enough because if i could somewhat do it, it would defiantly have to be made into a tech doc because i know a lot of people are keen on it because i mean have a look at the kayhan/aerpro units that are being sold for $1000 odd so if i can get carplay and basically all the features on a stock screen it will look real crisp and clean because of how small the screen is and for the fact it will basically look 1000% stock, hopefully i can figure it out and then if its about 500 odd do it compared to spending 1000 odd and being dissapointed nobody makes just a carplay compatible screen for the stock icc

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hopefully that made sense haha sorry

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

masonw049 wrote:
hopefully that made sense haha sorry

nah that made sense.

i did think about the Kayhan but due to what i was hearing/reading decided against it. Aerpro have seen em but have heard bugga all about em. so i'm going with the factory stock colour screen DZ units. have already changed her BF DZ from monochrome screen to a DZ colour screened unit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]