Fordmods Logo

Need to replace steering column 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Need to replace steering column
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys well the column in my eb has been buggered for a while now (both top and bottom bearings are gone and non serviceable..) and I need to know if the EA-ED falcon/mont/lane columns are all interchangeable or not.

The plan is to source one bare from the wreckers and the trouble is actually finding a good one.. So many of the columns already have stuffed bearings and I'm afraid i'll just replace it with another dud. I was wondering if there's any way I can check both bearings are ok? ie. shaking the hell out of the wheel seems to establish there's a lot of play in the top one.. however this seems to be making the bearing worse lol so I don't think this is an effective test method unless I plan on stuffing the new bearing too.

If anyone has any tips or experience with this pita job they would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Need to replace steering column
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Just replace the bearings?

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The problem with the bearing (bottom one) getting stuffed is from the column not being removed completely when removing the dash for doing a/c work or similar work.
The column is undone at the top, and not at the bottom, and just gets dropped onto the seat.
The bearing gets twisted....it isn't a strong bearing, the outer race is just like tin plate, and on the outside of that is a rubber mounting to absorb NVH.
The bearing is a needle bearing.
I have sucessfully rebuilt some steering columns, fitting better/stronger bearings.
It is a fairly involved process.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

There is a Quick Sleeve kit, allowing you to dissasemble the steering column quickly and replace the lower bearings. I got one from Gold Coast power Steering (in fact, I have the sleeve still at home). its a 2 piece unit that replaces the one that gets smashed up.

It doesnt have to be a terribly hard job if you get the right parts

Nigel

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

This is good to know, I have a in an out movement with my steering column. Would this be bearings as well?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Only difference will be in the high series car's is in the combination switch or the column shift auto cars (ie, some 6 seater taxi's/wagons - they are rare tho!), having extra wiring for the cruise control & column auto controls. You can remove this from the column, a bare column will swap with all EA thru ED models. I've changed a couple over the years. You can fit your combo switch onto the new column if you need to change it due to the new one not having cruise if you have cruise.

EB2 & ED will have an extra lot of wires from the back of the ignition barrel for the smartlock - the barrel assembly can be removed with effort & swapped onto the other column too if required. If you car doesn't have smartlock & the new column does, just leave that wire there, and tie it up out of the way, no big deal.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FairmontEB1v8

New Zealand

Do you know where to get replacement lower bearing for an EB1 Falcon steering column? Cheers Nigel

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FairmontEB1v8

New Zealand

Do you know where to get replacement lower bearing for an EB1 Falcon steering column? Cheers Nigel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]