Fordmods Logo

xc 302 to 351 conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: xc 302 to 351 conversion
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc falcon

SA, Australia

i own an xc ute that i have fully restored and am currently changing the 302 out with a 351, motor reg sa has told me i need to install engineered strenghtning points on the cross member of my ute as it was originally a 6 cyl only can anyone shed any light on this or any other mods i may have to do?

Post subject: Re: xc 302 to 351 conversion
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I done the V8 swap on an xc sedan I once owned and from memory the changes consisted of engine mounts, brake booster and front springs. I think the cross member is the same between 6 and 8 only engine mounts are different and bolt strait up.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Giah v8+more

NSW, Australia

ashcook is right no 1 is gonna now what rotating package is in it you can use your 302 block to biuld a 351 no engine number change recquired!!!!!!! therfore no enginering

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I didn't think there was a different sub frame for 6 & 8's, if that is the case, you can tell them to bugger off about the strengthening points on the sub frame. You are only fitting a factory option engine, as long as you fit the brakes, factory engine mounts & springs to support the weight of the 351 (if they differ from 302 springs) you will be right.

I think you ended up talking with someone who doesn't know it was a factory optioned engine, and how little ford changed to have the big 8 in the bay!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc falcon

SA, Australia

Does anyone know anything about the spring tower reinforcement bracket offered from ford factory or the idller arm support bracket? i believe they were an option from factory for the 351 in xc's just wondering whether or not someone might have a picture?

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

winebago wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the spring tower reinforcement bracket offered from ford factory or the idller arm support bracket? i believe they were an option from factory for the 351 in xc's just wondering whether or not someone might have a picture?

There might be mention of them in the Ford Factory XB or XC workshop manual. The big buggers. My mum has a few of those manuals at her place, i will have a bit of a look thru them tomorrow & see if there is any mention. If they were options & not standard on a 351 powered car, you don't have to run them, unless you want to.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The main difference between V8 and 6 cylinder in the XA -XC series is.
Engine mount plates.
Radiator support bracing behind the top of the radiator (Run your fingers in there and you'll feel the difference)
A small brace on the bottom of the crossmember. This was spotwelded on all V8s from the factory.
The XD onwards, all came with this brace so they're as common as dogsheet.
There are extra pieces in the GT's etc like the 9" 'bashplate' up under the floor and tramp rods etc, but they're not a problem for you.

As to the 302 is OK but 351 isn't. What a joke. Unless you're on P plates or similar but as far as the car goes, big FN deal.
As previously stated by others, just stroke your 302 with the 351 crank and rods. You can even reuse your existing pistons.
OR you can retain the 302 rods and buy pistons to suit. These give a longer dwell time at TDC and BDC. I've done this in the spare block that is going into the XA coupe. The JG66 block is on the engine stand for prosperity.

Two heads are better than one.
So I own V8s

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Nil ATM

VIC, Australia

This guy does a lot of great work, he explains the differences between 6 versus 8 cylinder body difference from 4:30 onwards.
https://youtu.be/DQPLeMrHAOk

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]