Fordmods Logo

HELP!!!Lost keys to car.(XC Falcon 500 Wagon) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP!!!Lost keys to car.(XC Falcon 500 Wagon)
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1977 XC Falcon 500 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I have lost the keys to my XC falcon 500 wagon, I was just wondering what my options are for fixing this problem, the car is unlocked so I can still get in it, is it possible to get keys cut for the ignition and the locks, or would it be easier/cheaper to just take out all the locks and the ignition and replace them with locks and ignition I have keys for???

Does anyone know where I can get keys cut for the locks and igniton or where I can get a new igntion and locks from in Sydney?

Thanks heaps for any help/advice!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

If you removed a door lock out of the car, and took it to a decent locksmith, they should be able to cut you some keys. Easiest thing to do would be not to lose the keys. Shouldnt you have a spare? :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

as ive been told by Jase and few other guys here that you can pretty much just use any key from anothre car same year and it'll fit.. or a flathead screwdriver lol

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

fuzion wrote:
as ive been told by Jase and few other guys here that you can pretty much just use any key from anothre car same year and it'll fit.. or a flathead screwdriver lol

Unless the locks are totally RS, the answer is no to this (that is a GMH lock).
The average worn X series ignition lock can be jiggled with a "worn key" (best results with a very worn alloy key, they wear all over the key) until it unlocks, you can either replace the barrel lock and door locks or just do what "Andrew J" said, this would probably be cheaper and easier if all your locks are currently keyed the same.

To pull the ignition barrel out you need to remove the plastic column shield, turn ignition to accessories, push a nail that fits etc into the hole in the barrel assembly and pull the barrel lock out.

The could be the opportunity to replace the ignition lock assembly and door locks with XG/XH locks.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

just use the auto dipstick to turn the ignition to accessories and then push a pin in the hole in the shroud under the barrell . it should then pull out.

take it to a locksmith should cost about $15 to $20 to get one cut.

MAKE SURE YOU DONT TURN THE BARRELL WHEN ITS OUT OF THE HOUSING AS THIS WILL STUFF IT!!

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1977 XC Falcon 500 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Thanks for all the help guys.
So if I was to remove all the locks and ignition, what sort of $ would I be looking at to replace it all with XG/XH locks?Would that mean that I would only need one key for everything, instead of how it is/was now with a separate key for the boot, doors and ignition?( I am pretty sure the boot is a different key? I havent had the keys for over a year?)
Will these locks just go straight in where the old ones were or do I need to change stuff?

It is looking like it would be the cheapest and easiest option to just remove the ignition barrel, door lock, and boot lock and get a key cut for each one at the local locksmith?

Thanks heaps again for all the help.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

77 XC wrote:
It is looking like it would be the cheapest and easiest option to just remove the ignition barrel, door lock, and boot lock and get a key cut for each one at the local locksmith?

I havent done the XG/XH lock conversion but Ihave a few mates that have, one had problems with the door locks and the other didnt, guessing one bought the wrong locks.

Personally I would convert if you are going to keep the car.

xr8 dismantler wrote:
just use the auto dipstick to turn the ignition to accessories and then push a pin in the hole in the shroud under the barrell . it should then pull out.

The ignition barrels aren't all that bad, infact if they aren't that worn (low use) even a worn key wont work and you will need to drill straight into the lock, but make sure you don't make a mistake I did once of not disconnecting the battery, it started the car and got stuck on start for a few seconds (seemed forever)

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ahh the good ol auto falcons, i used a dipstick for my mates car hahah good times.
the dipstick won't work with my ute though (82 model).

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
ahh the good ol auto falcons, i used a dipstick for my mates car hahah good times.
the dipstick won't work with my ute though (82 model).

your lock isnt as worn.
if you hold the dipstick at the end well away from the ignition and wobble it will turn.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah i know it's pretty funny when you just pop the bonnet up, get the dipstick and start it.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

i know its been ages since ne1 sed nethign here, but jst wanted to add my 2 cents.

an 83 xe panel van i brought, didnt come with keys, so to get it started and moved i pulled the dipstick from the motor - took a bit of jiggling but it started in the end.

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

the easiest way to start an x series falc is to use bw or c4 auto dipstick old wreckers trick when you get the steering lock off you can use a piece of wire to pop out the ignition (small hole on underside of ignition barrel) push the wire in and out comes the barrel makes it easier for the locksmith to cut a key and then you can use a screwdriver in the plastic section to start it until you get it fixed.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Used to break into my XC ute using a wire coathanger, just hooked the door lock up. Damaged the seals but...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]