US F1 Grand Prix 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: US F1 Grand Prix
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

So who watched it, or watched what was left of it ... what do you think?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

f**k pathetic

too much money is wasted on F1

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I didnt see it, but heard about what went on there.

I think it's a disgrace. The tyre manufacturer wasnt up to the job and the teams payed dearly for this.

a) with the amount of high speed oval racing conducted in the states, there is no excuse for any tyre manufacturer to not have sufficient data to develop a tyre which can handle tearing round an oval track at 300+...

b) it appears that the FIA would rather have no race at all as opposed to allow some sort of compromise to allow the race to go on... strange actions for an organisation who claims they want to improve their populatiry in the USA... I can only assume the final decision was based on commercial reasons as opposed to racing reasons.

c) i cant believe they did the warm up lap before pissing off home.

d) seems like the end of F1 in the US (again). These are people that expect ricky rudd to return to the track with half of a car's panels missing following a 'hard lick' at daytona... i dont suspect they take to kindly to the european circius pissing off because of some shoddy tyres...

e) the truly american way to solve the problem? A class action!! http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp? ... s/11284003

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i was one of the people that got up and watched it. i was unaware of the tyre debacle beforehand so when i turned the tv on at half 3 in the morning i was a bit dissappointed but as i was already up decided to stay and watch.

i agree totally with the fia on this one. it was not their decision to not race the michelin shod cars but the teams who have since been summoned and are facing numerous charges. it would not have been fair to the bridgestone guys if they altered the track to suit the michelin guys. apparently they couldn't really add a chicane either without following the rules on altering/building a track and all the logistics that go with it because had there been an accident on a piece of track that had just been set up the american motor racing governing body could have sued the pants off the fia for not following there own guidelines.

extremely unfair for the fans, many of whom had come from miles away, to lose their hard earned watching 2 red cars try to take each other out.

with still 10 races to go the championship is looking like one of the closest for a very long time.

for more info check out the articles on f1.com

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I didnt see it, but heard about what went on there.

I think it's a disgrace. The tyre manufacturer wasnt up to the job and the teams payed dearly for this.

a) with the amount of high speed oval racing conducted in the states, there is no excuse for any tyre manufacturer to not have sufficient data to develop a tyre which can handle tearing round an oval track at 300+...

b) it appears that the FIA would rather have no race at all as opposed to allow some sort of compromise to allow the race to go on... strange actions for an organisation who claims they want to improve their populatiry in the USA... I can only assume the final decision was based on commercial reasons as opposed to racing reasons.

c) i cant believe they did the warm up lap before pissing off home.

d) seems like the end of F1 in the US (again). These are people that expect ricky rudd to return to the track with half of a car's panels missing following a 'hard lick' at daytona... i dont suspect they take to kindly to the european circius pissing off because of some shoddy tyres...

e) the truly american way to solve the problem? A class action!! http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp? ... s/11284003

Point c), with the current rules where engines are required to take part in two races it makes sense from the teams perspective to participate in the formation lap, as I understand it this lap constitutes starting the race. Therefor as the qualifying order (where finishing higher than others is of benifit) is based on the results from the previous race, starting the race is better than not starting. As the tyre supplier had told the teams it supplied they cannot race at full speed, doing just the formation lap did not go against there wishes. The teams did all they could to race, after all they have an obligation to their sponsors to race. I think the underlying problem is the stupid rules where tyres can't be changed without penalty, this is just one example of the changes that are supposed to cut cost but in the end cost the teams more and more. The FIA are doing all they can to kill the sport by constantly changing the rules instead of relying on natural selection. It is rapidly turning the sport into a one make series by dictating every aspect of F1. Sorry about the rant!

Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

while i disagree with the rule changes I can see why they are in place ... the FIA have done it to make the sport more interesting and lift flagging viewers. Plus you have to conceed that the gap between the richer teams and the poorer ones was increasing rapidly.
As much as I hate to admit it, being a big Scuderia fan - last year was getting boring, Schum won again, by how much this week.... :roll:

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Personally , I have never been a Ferrari fan but I did not see anything wrong with domination by any one team or another, you only need to go back through the history of F1 to see that domination by one team is the nature of the sport. Close manufacture championships are not as common as you would think. By changing the rules it makes it harder not easier for the smaller teams to compete, for example the major reduction in downforce allowed this year aimed at slowing the cars down were almost overcome for the main teams in the first GP, the rear of the grid teams are still in catchup.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

So what is the difference between the circuit that the IRL and cart cars race and the F1's? I know the F1's ran the opposite direction but that's about it. Are there chicanes and stuff thrown in or is it just hammering around the brickyard the wrong way?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

f1 only uses a very small portion of the indy track. the f1 track is in the infield and uses a couple of corners and the main straight.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
Personally , I have never been a Ferrari fan but I did not see anything wrong with domination by any one team or another, you only need to go back through the history of F1 to see that domination by one team is the nature of the sport.

true but after 5 years of straight prancing horse championships people were switching off and it was becoming Formula Yawn and not Formula 1

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
So what is the difference between the circuit that the IRL and cart cars race and the F1's? I know the F1's ran the opposite direction but that's about it. Are there chicanes and stuff thrown in or is it just hammering around the brickyard the wrong way?

It's only part of the brickyard mate. Its the first corner when running the 'correct' direction around the track and then they go up the pit straight... just before the next banked corner, it veers off into the infield where they have a road circuit...

http://indymotorspeedway.com/500f1.htm

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
twason wrote:
Personally , I have never been a Ferrari fan but I did not see anything wrong with domination by any one team or another, you only need to go back through the history of F1 to see that domination by one team is the nature of the sport.

true but after 5 years of straight prancing horse championships people were switching off and it was becoming Formula Yawn and not Formula 1

I was much more content watching Mclaren kick but ever since the 80's right up untill ferrari began their domination. The difference between Mclaren and ferrari is before shumacer, the last guy to give ferrari any cred was alain prost (if I remember correctly). With Mclaren it was the late, grate ayrton senna, then their former test driver mika hakinen, then coulthard, and now raikonen. If shumacer retired after this season barichello would get swamped and ferrari would be at the same level as sauber or minardi within 2 seasons.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

looks like this is gonna cost michelin a s**t..... nevermind the bad publicity, fines, etc, i hear they're now gonna refund all the spectators tickets

Banned

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

Here is a satelite view of the circuit with the F1 course clearly visible with the informous turn 13 down the bottom LHS of the map.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.795216,-86.233921&spn=0.018713,0.029273&t=k&hl=en
Cheers
TW

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]