Fordmods Logo

Turbo noob 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo noob
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Forte

ACT, Australia

(Yes, i am 17, but insurance is not a problem)

I have read "turbo EA project", but I dont have a grasp of some of the names of the parts they mention, I am new to turbo's (I have read quite a few articles on Turbos, but still dont 100% understand how to install it, what other mods i need ect...). Also, as i have a stock AUII Forte (Auto Tranny), I was wondering, what type of mods would I need to do to the engine for it to handle the power at 10psi or around that? Im not looking for more power then 220rwkw, anything between 150rwkw and 220rwkw would be fantastic.

One more thing, I am planning to mount an intercooler at the front, so how would i connect the intercooler pipe going into the engine to the actual engine? I have no idea on were and how the connections work, so it may sound a lil stupid. Its not my idea to get flamed, I just hope i get more useful info. Cheers

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

In response to your question there has been a nubmer of threds on begining a turbo set-up.

Try a search and chew through some of that info.

The stock internals will be fine at that level but you will need
- Iinjectors
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel pressre reg
- Turbo
- Intercooler
- waste gate (unless internally gated)
- Turbo manifold
- chip or some computing system
- Exhaust
- Cam

I would not attempt a turbo project unless your quite competent mechanically, either get it done by someone (est cost for your desired set-up $8,000 - $10,000)

Or do it with a friend or someone how has some more experience at it, installing cams and making manfolds takes a fair bit of work and tunning the computer is very important to ensure the motor runs correctly and does not lean out, which would in turn lead to blown headgaskets and more money to repair.....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

if your just gonna rip into the bloke dont bother writing anything its just more useless s**t for him to read...
no offence to anyone whos threads he may have read, they are not useless but do not contain the information that he desires...
in regards to the intercooler piping the couplers are silicone hose the same diameter as the intercooler piping they simply slip over and a clamp will hold them in place, being silicone they make an air tight seal...
the intercooler will need to have brackets made up ( a simple elbow of thickish steel) then bolt it to where ever seems to be the best place (maybe near your radiator supports...
as for getting the piping into the engine bay you will need to cut a few holes and grind a few places so that it is possible...
another problem you may encounter (depending on cooler size) is your front bar... it may rub and you will have to cut/grind any where that does to make it fit...
cheers and good luck with the car

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

Heres a perfect starting point.
http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZboostedQ2droo (I dont know how to post a link but just cut and paste this address and have a look at the kits he has). I recently fitted the stage 4 kit and found it to be a very high quality kit.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]