Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Your thoughts...?

Quote:
Your verdict: Aussie Motoring Survey
Jaedene Hudson
05aug05

Flashing lights should be installed to warn drivers at school zones, according to thousands of CARSguide readers. They also call for increasing the highway speed limit to 130km/h, random drug testing for all motorists and noise limiters on car music systems.

Nearly 10,000 readers responded to the CARSguide 2005 Aussie motoring survey, which asked about driving, tolls, fines and motoring issues.
More than 85 per cent of readers say all school zones should be identified with flashing lights. Most of the hundreds of school zones on main roads across NSW do not have lights to warn motorists. These zones are identified only by signs and road markings.

The soaring cost of fuel is another hot issue. As prices skyrocket above $1.20 per litre most believe the Government should control fluctuating figures.

More than 56 per cent of readers nationwide (54 per cent in NSW) are considering buying an alternative fuel-powered car and 28 per cent would pay more for a hybrid car than a petrol car. The Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid are the only two hybrid cars available on the market. Hybrid technology is still relatively expensive to produce but Toyota manager for alternative fuel vehicles Vic Johnston says the price will fall over time. "It won't be long before you will walk into a showroom and be asked do you want a four-cylinder, six-cylinder or hybrid with that," he says.

Most people say top speed on freeways and motorways should be 130km/h. However opinions are split as to whether there should be a 50km/h speed limit on all suburban streets.

A third of readers think the blood alcohol limit should be cut to 0.02 but 86 per cent supported random drug testing for motorists. The survey reveals that women, under 18 and over 60 years of age, are most likely to feel the alcohol limit should be lowered.

Driver training is vital and 81 per cent say training should be a compulsory high school course. There are similar levels of agreement for males and females of all ages.

More than three-quarters of responses called for drivers over the age of 75 to sit a refresher test with those under 34 years of age agreeing most, but interestingly more than half of respondents over 70 agreed.

There has been a lot of publicity about 4WDs being inappropriate for city traffic with some groups wanting them banned. However, most responses did not support a 4WD ban on suburban streets.

Fines and demerit points are a worry for all motorists. About 68 per cent say double demerit points are a deterrent but doubling fines at the same time is just fundraising. And the majority view speed cameras as a revenue-raiser for the State Government.

Noisy car stereos are unpopular and 60 per cent of NSW respondents say car sound systems should have a noise limiter on them to stop them being heard outside the vehicle.

On average, people will spend $35,000 (slightly higher at $36,000 for NSW) on their next car. The top five favourite brands nationwide are Holden, Ford, Toyota, BMW and Subaru. European cars are seen to be safest. A quarter of respondents say Volvo is the safest brand with a fifth choosing Mercedes-Benz. The majority (55 per cent NSW and national) of motorists feel both luxury and safety are equally important. Just 34 per cent say safety is more important.

In NSW, 86 per cent of motorists (87 per cent national) say cars more than 10 years old should not be banned from Australian roads.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

Theres no way any Government in Australia will take any notice of those results, theres just too much common sense in there for a public servant to understand.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

noise limiters on car music systems

WHAT ????

why......

u can fuken hear sirens when uve got the stocko speakers on 50% volume

and its hardley noise pollution, as most cars with good as stereos have some form of sound dedeaning or they just rattle to bits.

what a waste of time.

‮‮

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yep lots of common sense in there.

Bentles, about sound systems - I disagree of course. But some C*** are just plain inconsiderate. My house is practically adjacent to a set of traffic lights on a relatively busy road. You get these idiots who pull up to the lights at 2am in the morning and they have their subs so loud that the f**k house is vibrating. I can understand why people get the s**t.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Some people are stupid the way they play there car stereos in residential areas and that.
I still reckon 4WD's should require a seperate licence, try and keep the soccer mom's out of them! They should definately not be banned, but the second licence would encourage them to only be for people who actually plan on going 4WDing. By 4WD, I'm refering to proper bush going 4WD's, things like the Subaru Outback AWD, and the Holden Advantura which are designed more for roads are fine.
As for school zones, flashing lights is an awsome zone. I had a dispute when I was busted speeding in one, I was doing the normal limit, and according to my clocks there was still 15minutes till the 40km/h started, cop reckoned other wise. There were no kids, or lolly pop lady around either.
And highway speeds definately should be raised.
And old cars definately shouldn't be banned. But I think they should have to be road worthied again at certain periods (i think that compulsory in some states isn't it?).

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

theres nothing like ABBA blaring out the speakers...

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

bentles wrote:
noise limiters on car music systems

WHAT ????

why......

u can fuken hear sirens when uve got the stocko speakers on 50% volume

and its hardley noise pollution, as most cars with good as stereos have some form of sound dedeaning or they just rattle to bits.

what a waste of time.
Whay s**t are you talking. Ive had the standard system on the wifes EL on around half before and havnt heard a siren (quite embarrising actually I was beeping and yelling at this dude in front of me a green light when the Ambulance went sailing past :oops: ). Some people with bassy systems have no consideration at all when it comes to residential areas (mainly at night).

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

seton005 wrote:
(quite embarrising actually I was beeping and yelling at this dude in front of me a green light when the Ambulance went sailing past :oops: ).

hahahaha ... i've done something similar, moved over into the left lane to let an smbo go past - when I realised the ambo siren was coming from my radio :)

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FALCON

SA, Australia

cops asked me if i have a revision mirrior the other day ...didnt here da siren at all . didnt see em either they wernt happy DEFECT is it my falt im faster then there s**t commie

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]