Post subject: LOWNDES IS BETTA THAN THE REST AT SANDOWN
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

MEDIA RELEASE :: 11 September 2005

Team Betta Electrical's Craig Lowndes has taken his third victory of the V8 Supercar season, winning the Betta Electrical 500 at Sandown.

Along with co-driver Yvan Muller of France, Lowndes beat home 33 V8 Supercars and inclement weather. The highlight was a dramatic run to the chequered flag when he passed Mark Skaife with just five laps remaining after trailing at one stage by over 50 seconds.

Lowndes' win has put Ford in front in the Manufacturer's Cup with five rounds wins to Holden's four.

Lowndes got a great start stretching a lead over 20 seconds before the first round of pit stops. It was during this time that the weather started to turn, with inconsistent drizzle forcing teams to make numerous stops.

It was in this middle stage of the race that Yvan Muller took the wheel. He maintained a strong pace, but had to make one extra pit stop than rival Skaife who took the #2 car from Todd Kelly. Muller even at one stage passed Skaife for the lead, but just a handful of laps later had to come into the pits to hand the car back to Lowndes for the run to the flag.

Lowndes then went on a mission over the last 48 laps, carving into Skaife's lead and grabbed first position in front of packed grandstand with five laps to run.

The result was Ford's second straight win at Sandown and third in succession following wins in Queensland (Lowndes) and Oran Park (Ingall).

"The car was great, the team was great and Yvan was just sensational," said Lowndes.

"A lot of people questioned the decision to put Yvan and I together, but today showed just how classy he is as a driver.

"I'm sure that if the weather didn't change so much, we would have probably won the race a lot easier. However, it's a pretty special feeling to fight for a win and that's what we did today.

"It was hard on the crew to make the right calls on the tyres. Even when I got back in for the final run I had wet tyres on. There were times when I was asking the crew should we change. We stuck to our guns and that was clearly the right decision in the end.

"The chase for Skaife was pretty exciting. The guys knew he had a couple of dramas and had to conserve fuel. We kept the pace up and with the gap coming down I couldn't believe how it all unfolded.

"Taking our third win of the year is great for me, the team and clearly Ford is delighted to once again win in its home town and take the lead in the manufacturer's title.

"Our team is really excited heading to Bathurst. Yvan and I will be strong, as well as our team-mates and the entire Ford group of teams. Ford hasn't won since 1998 and I think every supporter of the Blue Oval should be excited about Bathurst this year!"

Yvan Muller rated today's win as one of the top-five highlights in his career. Muller a champion in British Touring Cars as well as the Andros Ice Racing series has now ticked a big box in Australian V8 Supercars.

"For sure it's right up there in terms of my career," said Muller.

"I'm still to really get comfortable in these cars, but I'm delighted with my drive today and to win with Craig is simply fantastic.

"The wet weather was very tough, but I'm sure it's made me a more confident driver for Bathurst.

"As I had never driven one of these cars in the wet before I was not sure if my pace was quick enough. Believe me I was very happy to pass Skaife and give Craig the car in a strong position.

"Believe me it's not easy for any European or non-regular driver in the V8 Supercar Championship Series. I wanted to do these races because I know how big the challenge is."

Ford finished with five cars in the top-10. Lowndes and Muller's team-mates Steve Ellery and Adam Macrow were fifth, Jason Bright and David Brabham (CAT Ford Performance Racing) in sixth, Russell Ingall and Luke Youlden (Caltex Racing) in seventh, with Brad Jones and John Bowe (Team BOC) in ninth.

Championship leader Marcos Ambrose finished 14th. He started well, but an overheating engine after damage to the front bonnet forced extra pit stops.

Ambrose still heads Stone Brothers Racing team-mate Ingall in the championship chase.

Next up in the V8 Supercar Championship Series is the big one, the Super Cheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst on Sunday October 9.

Sandown – Top-10 Results

1. Craig Lowndes / Yvan Muller – Team Betta Electrical – Ford Falcon BA

2. Todd Kelly / Mark Skaife - Holden Racing Team – Holden Commodore

3. Jason Richards / Jamie Whincup – Dodo Racing – Holden Commodore

4. Rick Kelly / Garth – HSV Dealer Team – Holden Commodore

5. Steve Ellery / Adam Macrow – Team Betta Electrical – Ford Falcon BA

6. Jason Bright / David Brabham – CAT Ford Performance Racing – Ford Falcon BA

7. Russell Ingall / Luke Youlden – Caltex Racing – Ford Falcon BA

8. Paul Morris / Paul Radisich – Sirromet / TKR Racing – Holden Commodore

9. Brad Jones / John Bowe – Team BOC – Ford Falcon BA

10. Cameron McConville / Andrew Jones – Valvoline Racing – Holden Commodore

Championship Standings after 9 of 13 rounds

1. Marcos Ambrose – Pirtek Racing – Ford Falcon BA 1486pts

2. Russell Ingall – Caltex Racing – Ford Falcon BA –78pts

3. Steven Richards – Castrol Perkins Motorsport – Holden Commodore –119pts

4. Craig Lowndes – Team Betta Electrical – Ford Falcon BA –225pts

5. Todd Kelly – Holden Racing Team – Holden Commodore –233pts

6. Mark Skaife – Holden Racing Team – Holden Commodore –284pts

7. Garth Tander – HSV Dealer Team – Holden Commodore -342pts

8. Jason Bright – CAT Ford Performance Racing – Ford Falcon BA -390pts

9. Steven Johnson – Westpoint Racing – Ford Falcon BA –444pts

10. Glenn Seton – Westpoint Racing – Ford Falcon BA -448pts

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

GO FORD. I'll take Lowndes to win at Bathurst or Ingall. Somehow I dont think Ambrose will get the win.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

anyone able to tell me why Ambrose got a penalty? That bloke always seems to be getting them!
It's too tough to pick who'll win the championship this year - very close between the top 3 Ford drivers.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

Ambrose didn't get a penalty, he had some water temp issue and kept coming in to top it up with water.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yer doubt ambrose will win bathurst :( be a good way to top off a good 3 yrs though....

lowndes got 2nd last yr and that was with 2 or 3 more stops than murphy

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
Ambrose didn't get a penalty, he had some water temp issue and kept coming in to top it up with water.

no he was 12th, but was demoted to 14th due to a pit lane infringement which ended up costing him 8 championship points.

personally i still want Ambrose to win the championship this year. i just think it'll be nice to see him go out on a high. for lowdnes and ingall there's always next season.

Last edited by twr7cx on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

Go Lowndes. Hope he will maintain consitancy with winning the races and competing against HSV and the StoneBrothers cars.

Lowndes > Ambrose

: )

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah the Sandown 500 was a great race to watch, good on Lowndes as well!!! Lets just hope we go to Bathurst and can get the same result. Hopefully Ambrose gets up thier as well :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

u shood of seen me n me mate on the edge of the couch right at the end, oh yeh, has to be the most intense V8 supercars ive watched in a long time!

- Grechie

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ambrose got a fine for turning around the second FPR car. It was luff at the wheel when this happened.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]