AU brake shudder 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: AU brake shudder
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Parents AU11 futura has started brake shuddering again.
About 1.5 yr ago the front discs were either machined or replaced because of a bad brake shudder, now it's back and luckily for ford, out of warranty.

Can discs be machined twice if they were done last time or does it all depend on how much was taken off by ford the first time?

Do wheel bearings need to be replaced when the disc's are removed for machining or replacement?

Whats the best pads to use on an Au11 futura? Just a family car, doesnt need anything high performance, just something reliable, durable and not too hard on the discs.

Lastly, if the discs do need replacing, should they be replaced with genuine Ford items or are there cheaper (while still being as good if not better for same price) aftermarket ones available?

Thanks guys

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Post subject: Re: AU brake shudder
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

ebbes wrote:
Can discs be machined twice if they were done last time or does it all depend on how much was taken off by ford the first time?

It depends on how much 'meat' is left on them. The disc should have a minimum thickness printed on it somewhere, maybe someone call tell you off the top of their head. Just need to measure the thickness and compare it to the minimum thickness.

A new disc can usually take 2 or 3 machinings in its lifespan.

Quote:
Do wheel bearings need to be replaced when the disc's are removed for machining or replacement?

Nah but usually get them cleaned and repacked with grease.

Quote:
Whats the best pads to use on an Au11 futura? Just a family car, doesnt need anything high performance, just something reliable, durable and not too hard on the discs.

All sorts of options out there mate. Just dont get the extremely hard pads (eg bendix ultimates) as they will make minced meat of your newly machined rotors. Maybe bendix performax for the front, bendix standards for the rearr. This is what i use - good stopping power, fairly good on discs. A good intermediate setup.

Quote:
Lastly, if the discs do need replacing, should they be replaced with genuine Ford items or are there cheaper (while still being as good if not better for same price) aftermarket ones available?

Lemme put it this way - dont go thru ford. I think DBA may even supply ford with discs but dont take my word for it. Some standard DBA replacements will be fine (if they need replacing). Any mechanic will be able to source these for you. I think there's a mob called hightech brakes in Vic who are very popular with fordmods members. Just make sure you get the ABS/non-ABS discs as is applicable to your car.

Cheers
Martin

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

actually martin if my memory serves me right you cant repack the au wheel bearings..... i could be wrong though

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

take your car down to Crescent Motors in liverpool and speak to Joe and im sure youll be able to solve your problems or fit up some new rotors/pads or even if possible to get them machined or hell even ur bearings redone..

member, dyno day is this sat so pop on down?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
actually martin if my memory serves me right you cant repack the au wheel bearings..... i could be wrong though

Your right AU has a sealed wheel hub,good for around 500,000ks

AU series1 Futura Duel Fuel,ceramic coated Pacemaker Headers,Hi-Flow cat.2.5in. exhaust,T-series snorkel,K&N panel filter,D.B.A.Slotted Rotors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]