Fordmods Logo

Pricing of EA - EF Falcons 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Pricing of EA - EF Falcons
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Soarer TT

Oustide Australia

I'm landing in melborne late december to spend a few months for a holiday and i'll be needing some wheels up to/around $3k.

As title says im looking along the lines of an EA onwards falcon/ fairmont/ fairlane /wagon (not ute), but pref EBII onwards, AIRCON is a must, LPG would be good too but not essential, not fussy if its a base model or ex taxi etc but it must be clean and tidy and extremely reliable! minor cosmetic damage ok (hail, faded paint, carpark dings etc) but i don't want a filthy old hack which has been dragged out of a paddock!

I'm a mechanic so i'm confident i can avoid buying a car with glaring problems, but im unsure of prices of this sort of vehicle in oz and also don't want to hear "oh, you didn't buy it from THAT caryard did you?" or "sheeit! i coulda got you same thing for half the price!" etc

I've had a quick look on tradingpost.com and it seems a fair budget for a reasonable vehicle but im after your input- What can i expect to get for $1500?, for $3k, am i better paying $3500 and getting an ef onwards? any caryards to steer clear of? do any of you guys have anything that might fit this description?
Any advice or ideas would be excellent......

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

What state (i.e. Victora, New South Wales, Quensland) are you planning to buy the car in will help :)

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Post subject: Re: Pricing of EA - EF Falcons
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

edwagon wrote:
I'm landing in melborne late december to spend a few months for a holiday and i'll be needing some wheels up to/around $3k.

Does that help?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Soarer TT

Oustide Australia

Yeah, Melbourne would be ideal or Bendigo is fine too.

Also are there any tricks or scams with rego etc to watch out for (ie: over here in nz its getting buyer stuck with paying overdue milage on diesel vehicles)
I understand that as long as rego is paid up then theres no ongoing roadworthy checks until its time to sell, so if i parked it up until next time i came over, as long as i kept paying rego, i could just gas her up and go? I also have heard that if you get caught with an unroadworthy car then you get shot!
What the go with having vic plates but visiting other states? time limit, permits etc?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

totally ok to drive in other states with any aussie plates. only time u have a problem is once u live in the other state u have 3 months to change the rego into the other state... so yes thats correct about parking and paying rego and itll be fine. as long as u have somewhere safe to park it

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

oh yeh in NSW theres annual roadworthy checks so if u plan to do that u wanna find one with VIC or QLD rego.. or WA... do SA and NT have checks?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

In my opinion, you should be able to find a reasonable EB Series 2, Falcon or similar for $3,000 fairly easily.
Your best bet, is to look on
www.melbournetradingpost.com.au
Have a browse, you'll get one cheaper and probably in better condition if you buy privately.
Everything people have said above is correct. As long as its not a bucket of s**t that shouldn't be on the road, the cops wont pull you up for anything. Just get it rego'd (if its not already when you buy it) will need a Roadworthy, too (again, if it hasn't been sold with one) Then just keep paying your rego, $450-500ish a year and you can use it whenever and however you feel!
If you don keep paying your rego, you'll just need to get another Roadworthy done on it. If nothings wrong they should cost anything from $60-$100 also.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, like EL XR8 said, theres a fair few EA-EB's popping up for sale now around the 3k mark.
Not that hard to find a duel fuel one either.
If they sell with roadworthy, the only other cost you're looking at is stamp duty when you transfer registration, and registration itself.
It's something like $50 for every thousand spent on vehicle for stamp duty, but check on vicroads site, cause I'm not 100% sure.
As for unroadworthiness, if it looks clean and stock, you'll be fine.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

I live in South Australia.....can u explain to me what a "Roadworthy" is?

(yes thats sarcasm)

only two situations you get a roadworthy in SA,

(a) you let your rego expire for a few months, they make u roadworthy it before u can re-register it

(b) the cops bust you driving your piece of s**t, with the muffler dragging on the road throwing a trail of sparks behind you, and upon pulling you over they realise 3 of your tires have no tread, your lights are all smashed in, and you dont have a bonnet...then they defect ya, give ya a list of s**t to fix, you fix it, then get it roadworthied and off you go.

SA Great!

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Look if your a Kiwi you dont have to register your car in SA, you dont have to even have a license, just outrun the keystone cops hehe...

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

buy my ed fairmont.
pity i'm up in qld.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]