Onboard Mini PC 

Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

TheTechGod wrote:
Unfortunately my stereo does not have any line inputs it is just the stock ED stereo. Does that have a separate amplifier between it and the speakers, or is the amplifier built in?

If it is separate then I could connect the PC to it...

Quote:
The other option would be to just run the amplifier off the computer, independently from the head deck

Do I need an amplifier between the PC and the speakers, or is the tiny one built into the sound card powerful enough to drive them? (I doubt it?)

Your idea of using relays to shutdown everything is interesting, I didn?t get it at first glance but after rereading it, it might help with my design.

I posted some more in the other thread:
http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 7376#19109

Might be best to keep the discussion in one thread ;)

Thanks for all the info!

Techgod - unless your car is a high series (i.e. fairmont or fairlane) the deck is unlikely to have an external amp. Not even sure if you can tap into the standard ford amps.

Yeah the sound card wont have enough power to drive the speakers (well, not with enough volume to hear it) so an amp would need to go in between PC and the speakers.

Maybe the FM modulator would be the easiest? Punch that into google and im sure there's plenty of reading material on them.

Covers - that's a good spot for the screen, just have to make sure you dont put your knuckles through it when moving the gearstick. I think this is the problem waggin had in the above post.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

EF Futura, Thanks for the info. Might go with an FM modulator...

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Falcon Gli

WA, Australia

s**t, you want anything else with that?

Burp

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
Damn, what an interesting topic.

Is there anyone that actually does this kinda stuff proffesionally. For example, i'd want 3 touch screens, each capable of tv reception. I'd want for the car as soon as started to go directly/and immediately to a playlist on my HDD, and start playing the last song it was playing before, i'd still want the radio as well, and i'd want to play movies directly off the hard drive as well. To top it off i'd also want to be able to play xbox, with each player having an individual screen, even when in multiplayer. NOw the only way I'd be able to do this is to fill my boot with pc's and xboxs and power inverters. Is there someone who can custom make it to my exact specifications, and make it all end up in one or two neat little boxs. In theory shouldn't it be possible to take for example one of those alpine touchscreen decks, and get it to work off it's own hard drive as well as being able to use the xbox hard drive.... would it be possibele to do all that if say money was no object, surely someone could do it.

Well i dont do anything like this for a living but could easily set it up. Theory doesnt change. AV control units would be necessary.

Assuming, of course, money was no object

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

blackjack_original, That's not too hard to do with a PC, some TV cards (1 for each independent screen if you want to watch different channels, or you could have multiple screens running from the 1 card and watching the same channel, etc). Oh and an XBOX if you want to be able to play XBOX games :)

So all up, you would only need 2 boxes in the boot, the PC and the XBOX. Better yet, hide them under the front seats and it will look stock (unless you look under the front seats that is ;) ).

I don't have an XBOX so I don't know about it's power input, but I think it is 240 volts which means you will need an inverter. That will need to go in the boot.

3 touch screens, I would imagine 2 headrest mounted screens at the back and one in the front (dash?). Should be easy to get professionally fitted.

The power up on ignition and playing from a playlist is also very basic, all done in software on the PC.

I've been thinking about all this because I want to get something similar done over the holidays... I'll be doing it all myself except fitting the LCD's.

The touch screens would probably be the most expensive single item in that setup...

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5