Fordmods Logo

interior courtesy lights and dash dimmer into gli! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: interior courtesy lights and dash dimmer into gli!
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i ripped the courtesy lights out of a fairmont at the wreckers (the ones under neath the driver and passenger door plus the one in the steering column). anyway i take off the steering column cover and i find my eb gli already has a light there, although it doesnt work, it has an earth wired to it but for some reason it isnt conected, once you earth it it turns on and stays on. my question is where the hell can i run these lights from?? i tried nearly every wire under the steering column but found nothing. im not too fussed with them staying on too long after the door shuts. is there another wire up the front of the car instead of running the wires to the back of the car where the loom is for the roof lights??

i also got the park and head light switch from the wreckers (the one on the dash) out of a fairmont as this has the dash dimmer on it not just the two switch settings the gli has. i put it on but it doesnt work like it should. is there a way of wiring it up to work right with out alot of trouble or should i just take it back to the wreckers??

thanks people!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

you having an EB I'm not sure show how similar it is to the EF series but I'll pass on anyway. The dimmer function is only on the high series BCM's (Fairlane) not the low or mid BMC's. (GLi / Fairmont). Is a major re-wire or harness swap over to get working and you only get two extra things, variable height aerial control and the dimming ability for the cluster lights. Not really worth it in my opinion. Some people have done it though, but as I said a big job!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ah stuff that not worth it what so ever then. any idea on the courtesy lights??

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Mom's cars an EBII Fairmont, so that's got the Mid series BCM right? Her lights dim out, and she's got the adjustable ariel

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: V8 VE Calais V Spec

Power: 262 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The Fairmonts get the high series BEM, and pretty much the same gear as the Ghias, with the exception of leather and wood bits... (Some prefer this anyway Lol)

The Interior Lamps are triggered by the BEM (I think for EBs and onwards), or by the Dimmer switch.
One way to tell, do you have an interior light delay function (I.E. do the interior lights stay on for a couple of seconds when you close your doors ????
If so, then it is 100% wired to the BEM.
If not then it is possibly wired up to the Headlight switch.

There are 2 wires that run to each Interior Lamp.
One line (Dark Green, with Yellow Stripe) is always live (+12V) No matter what is going on.
The other Line (Black with Blue Stripe) is grounded by the BEM or the back of the Headlight switch (When the interior Lamp thingie is turned on).

You might want to run a wire from the interior lamp that isnt working, to the Headlamp switch. (The wire colour should be the same, I.E. Black / Dark Blue

Hope this helps

VE Calais V8, IQ, HSV instruments and brembos fitted.
IQ, IPC, BCM all hacked and programmed without TECH2 :)

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

my gli fades the interior light out after the doors are shut, is that on all later e series falcons is it?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

u can wire it to the wiring that goes to any of the door switches... the earth i mean... run the positive to a constant 12v source and bingo, when the door opens (or any of the others if the cars got a low series BEM) the lights come on as they have an earth

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xpression- i tried that although they stayed on constantly as the actualy swtich for the door is turned off manually by that thing so any wire after that will simply stay on.

xyhoid- i will give what you said a go. it has the low series bem so all i am after is that they turn on and off with the interior light.

thanks guys!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
my gli fades the interior light out after the doors are shut, is that on all later e series falcons is it?

Hey there Happy, thats unusual. The olds' EL GLi interior dome light clicks off after 30 seconds, it doesn't actually fade out like yours. EF thing maybe??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]