Fordmods Logo

American curious about the XR6T 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: American curious about the XR6T
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

can someone describe how the intake manifold works on the XR6T? I'm a little confused looking at the pix of engine bays. I've seen on in person too, but didnt get enough time to really inspect it. Maybe i simple diagram?
:oops:

The reason i ask is because i would like to know how efficient it is or if there are any quirks or limitations to it. There would seem to be slight oxygen starvation in the 1st and 6th cylinders from the looks of it. Do people go with aftermarket intake manifolds when making big power? Or is the stock one just fine?

Thanks in advance.

-Daniel

97 Nissan 240sx (under construction)
95 Lexus SC300 (sold)
97 Supra TT (sold)
95 Nissan 300ZX TT (sold)

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Stock one is fine for most people although I believe there are some aftermarket ones being developed but usually they are pretty much based on the stock one anyway. What part of the inlet don't you understand? Its a fairly simple design, similar to that of the 5L EFI engines (throttle body intake to a plemum chamber then 6 runners to the inlet ports. There is also a long/short runner switch which is controlled by butterfly valves which gives a long runner for low down power then switches to a shorter runner for up high power, but this system is not used on the turbo engines as far as I am aware, they are just set on short runner mode because they have no problem with low down power.

There are very few limitations with the engine as a whole, there are several companies getting huge power out of them without touching the internals. With stronger internals, they are getting 1000hp out of them which is unbelievable!!!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2311/article.html

Don't know if that helps, but that is what they do to a heavily modified XR6T!

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Stock one is fine for most people although I believe there are some aftermarket ones being developed but usually they are pretty much based on the stock one anyway. What part of the inlet don't you understand? Its a fairly simple design, similar to that of the 5L EFI engines (throttle body intake to a plemum chamber then 6 runners to the inlet ports. There is also a long/short runner switch which is controlled by butterfly valves which gives a long runner for low down power then switches to a shorter runner for up high power, but this system is not used on the turbo engines as far as I am aware, they are just set on short runner mode because they have no problem with low down power.

There are very few limitations with the engine as a whole, there are several companies getting huge power out of them without touching the internals. With stronger internals, they are getting 1000hp out of them which is unbelievable!!!!!
8-) Thanks for the info.I figured as much, i was just confused as it seemed to that the runners werent long enough for some reason. I've been interested in the XR6t because it seems so much like the Toyota Supra here in the states where many people are getting huge horsepower, ~700+ hp easy, with out ever taking off the head.

I just wish we could get them up here. Rumor has it that we might be getting them soon. Ford USA has had some BAs running around their factories. :twisted:

-Daniel

97 Nissan 240sx (under construction)
95 Lexus SC300 (sold)
97 Supra TT (sold)
95 Nissan 300ZX TT (sold)

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

dmora wrote:
EDXR8 wrote:

8-) Thanks for the info.I figured as much, i was just confused as it seemed to that the runners werent long enough for some reason. I've been interested in the XR6t because it seems so much like the Toyota Supra here in the states where many people are getting huge horsepower, ~700+ hp easy, with out ever taking off the head.

I just wish we could get them up here. Rumor has it that we might be getting them soon. Ford USA has had some BAs running around their factories. :twisted:

Yep and they are a better car to drive than any passenger car Ford is producing in the USA at the moment. Just come back about a month ago from there after driving over 12,000 miles. Excluding the 2005 Mustang 8-) and Thunderbird Ford builds crap cars over there. Sable, Crown and Turaus YUK

ghiaman

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

good luck to you getting one in the usa, they are unreal cars.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]