Fordmods Logo

Lowered suspension knocking?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Lowered suspension knocking??
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

Oki im part way through the lowering process. Bought 4 shocks/struts Munro gt permiums all round, and low king springs TFFL-26 and TFRL-27...alls well so far kinda..

Fitted the back ones today, took about a hr a wheel (never even changed a shocky b4 so this was very brave of me haha, tho done a bit o engin work...neway). Anyway shortly after fitting i thought ill take it for a test drive...car went great handles 10x better and ive only done one end so far but....i have a horrid knocking bumping sound in the back on every single pothole...i dont think this is the bump stop, i think its my exhaust hitting the bumper bar. Its a luky system...it isnt hitting the dif (it was till i adjusted the exhaust a lil) but now it is about 2-3cm away from my bumper bar and i think its hitting as i go over bumps. Now...wtf...any suggestions or does anyone have any other places i should look for noises. It comes from the right hand side before and its not a sound like metal on metal...

Thankies

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

I had this. Turns out that s**t (QuickFit) had completly left off the top washers on one rear shock.. they were sitting near my back seat on the floor pan. also the other side needed to be tightened up as it was loose.

take the covering off where the shock is bolted on and get someone to rock the car up and down while listening. Then get under the back and do it again and see if its the exaust.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:59 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Good idea...ill check that out...pretty sure it wont b but u never know.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

had the same problem when I changed my rear shocks. One of the nuts were loose on the shock, causing it to move around when driving. Check all your nuts and bolts and make sure they are tight!

fast1

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:06 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

it was the exhaust...on the rear bumper bar. Put in the front springs and munro gt struts today...took 5 hrs for the 1st wheel and then 1 and 15 minutes for the second haha...just had to get brave enough to wack the steering nuckle...was scred i was gona damage it...pfft sif its strong as..Few tight bolts there, put all new split pins in.

Just drove back from hockey in newcastle on some pathetic roads in the rain and it felt like i was on rails...king springs n munro struts n shocks r awsome...wud never dis them now.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah i had my exhaust hit my diff when i lowered it, so bent a bracket up which raised the exhaust about 1 inch, then it hit my bumper, but i got a new system now, so it's all good.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yep exact same problem here. I just cut a rubber at the end so it only hangs on one side of the rubber (easily strong enough), i was going to bend the bracket but i cbf doin it... The diff was the same thing to me too...damn exhausts dont they expect ppl with 2.5 exhausts to want to lower their cars??

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: EF Falcon

WA, Australia

i have the same problem but it is only when i put the car in reverse or there are ppl in the back i have King spring superlows with standard shocks .
get on the ground and have a look as a friend bounces the back end up and down and i think u will find that it is ur swaybar hitting the exhaust that is what the problem was with mine and i think AZZA had the same problem

just check it out

6 IN A ROW, THE WAY TO GO

- Lukey 2.5' Sports Exhaust, Genie Extractors, High flow Cat
- 18 grade tint
- King Spring Super Lows
- Plates (BONO'S)
- Neon Blue Dash
- Sony 350W 4 ways, Sony 900W Subs x 2, Sony MP3 Deck xls-3300, Boss 1000W 4 channel Amp
- 17" HP Racing - Design Rims

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yep that was one problem. The new problem is the control arm touching the spring holder on the rear rhs. I managed to modify the rubbers (put wood in the gap to make them longer) and now the exhaust doesnt knock at all.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]